Negative Voltage

by gbaby370
Tags: negative, voltage
gbaby370
Apr24-12, 09:46 PM
P: 48
I just completed a problem regarding a Millikan Oil Drop Experiment. I ended up with a negative voltage in the solution.

I am just trying to understand negative voltage. Does it mean that the current will travel from - to + instead of the conventional + to -?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
phinds
Apr24-12, 09:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,685
Quote Quote by gbaby370 View Post
I just completed a problem regarding a Millikan Oil Drop Experiment. I ended up with a negative voltage in the solution.

I am just trying to understand negative voltage. Does it mean that the current will travel from - to + instead of the conventional + to -?
yes it does
haruspex
Apr25-12, 12:36 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,161
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
yes it does
Umm.. I don't think so. Why would it do that? Conventionally signed current will always flow from the higher (more +ve) potential to the lower.

Waterfox
Apr25-12, 03:53 AM
P: 33

Negative Voltage

If the "-" represents the ground or reference then I believe the "+" can have any potential difference whether positive or negative. In such a case though the "-" terminal will have the higher potential and so conventional current will run from it to the "+" terminal.
phinds
Apr25-12, 06:58 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,685
Quote Quote by Waterfox View Post
If the "-" represents the ground or reference then I believe the "+" can have any potential difference whether positive or negative. In such a case though the "-" terminal will have the higher potential and so conventional current will run from it to the "+" terminal.
Yeah, that's what I meant, but my simple "yes" was a bit misleading, as haruspex correctly pointed out.

Register to reply