Negative Voltage

by gbaby370
Tags: negative, voltage
gbaby370
Apr24-12, 09:46 PM
P: 48
I just completed a problem regarding a Millikan Oil Drop Experiment. I ended up with a negative voltage in the solution.

I am just trying to understand negative voltage. Does it mean that the current will travel from - to + instead of the conventional + to -?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
phinds
Apr24-12, 09:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,720
Quote Quote by gbaby370 View Post
I just completed a problem regarding a Millikan Oil Drop Experiment. I ended up with a negative voltage in the solution.

I am just trying to understand negative voltage. Does it mean that the current will travel from - to + instead of the conventional + to -?
yes it does
haruspex
Apr25-12, 12:36 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,215
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
yes it does
Umm.. I don't think so. Why would it do that? Conventionally signed current will always flow from the higher (more +ve) potential to the lower.

Waterfox
Apr25-12, 03:53 AM
P: 33

Negative Voltage

If the "-" represents the ground or reference then I believe the "+" can have any potential difference whether positive or negative. In such a case though the "-" terminal will have the higher potential and so conventional current will run from it to the "+" terminal.
phinds
Apr25-12, 06:58 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,720
Quote Quote by Waterfox View Post
If the "-" represents the ground or reference then I believe the "+" can have any potential difference whether positive or negative. In such a case though the "-" terminal will have the higher potential and so conventional current will run from it to the "+" terminal.
Yeah, that's what I meant, but my simple "yes" was a bit misleading, as haruspex correctly pointed out.

Register to reply