Virtual displacement and generalised forces

by Gregg
Tags: displacement, forces, generalised, virtual
Gregg
Apr26-12, 04:08 PM
P: 463
I am unsure about the virtual displacement and work definition even after looking through the definition and seeming to understand it. If we have

## \delta W = \displaystyle \sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \delta \vec{r}_i ##,

I can use,

## \delta \vec{r}_i = \sum_{i} \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ##,

and get to

## \delta W = \displaystyle \sum_{k}\sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ##.

So,

##\delta W = \sum_{k} \mathcal{F}_k \delta q_k ##.

Then in the derivation it says that this imples that

##\sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k}= \mathcal{F}_k = \frac{ \delta W}{\delta q_k} ##.

I thought that ##\delta W = \sum_{k} \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ## and ## \mathcal{F}_k = \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_k} ##. This seems to imply that:

## \delta W = \sum_{i} \frac{\delta W}{\delta q_k} \delta q_k ##,

so where is the distinction, because I can't work out when to use the deltas or ds?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
haruspex
Apr27-12, 01:43 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,152
F[itex]_{k}[/itex]=δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] looks wrong to me. Probably a typo of δ for ∂ in both places. ∂W/∂q[itex]_{k}[/itex] would be the limit of δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] as δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] tends to zero.
Hassan2
Apr27-12, 09:22 AM
P: 404
Quote Quote by Gregg View Post
##\sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k}= \mathcal{F}_k = \frac{ \delta W}{\delta q_k} ##.
Here ##\delta W ## is the work done by all forces for virtual displacement ##\delta q_{k} ## while no change in other generalized coordinates.

Quote Quote by Gregg View Post
I thought that ##\delta W = \sum_{k} \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ##
Don't forget that W depends on forces too, and the forces may depend on ##q_{k}##. Partial derivative is not correct here then.

Gregg
Apr27-12, 11:16 AM
P: 463

Virtual displacement and generalised forces

Quote Quote by haruspex View Post
F[itex]_{k}[/itex]=δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] looks wrong to me. Probably a typo of δ for ∂ in both places. ∂W/∂q[itex]_{k}[/itex] would be the limit of δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] as δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] tends to zero.
The deltas are for virtual work / displacement not small change in ##q_k## etc.

Quote Quote by Hassan2 View Post
Here ##\delta W ## is the work done by all forces for virtual displacement ##\delta q_{k} ## while no change in other generalized coordinates.

Don't forget that W depends on forces too, and the forces may depend on ##q_{k}##. Partial derivative is not correct here then.
Right, so what is actually implied by ## \frac{\delta W}{\delta q_{k}} ##? If partial derivative is not correct, is there a correct way in terms of the partial derivatices to express this? and is this the formal way to do so with the ##\delta##s?
Hassan2
Apr27-12, 11:54 AM
P: 404
I'm not sure but in my opinion, since δqk is arbitrary, we can set infinitesimal value to it and write the ratio in terms of partial derivatives:

[itex]\frac{\delta W}{\delta q_{k}} \rightarrow \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_{k}}+\sum_{i}\frac{\partial W}{\partial F_{i}}\frac{\partial F_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}[/itex]

However I have never seem such formula perhaps because it's not useful. We often don't have W as a function readily.

Register to reply