Register to reply

Is there an optimal time/way to post?

by dkotschessaa
Tags: optimal, time or way
Share this thread:
Gordon Watson
Apr27-12, 06:48 PM
P: 375
How long does the EDIT facility stay available on a PF post, please?

I've searched but cannot find the answer.

Is it 24 hours?

I've posted in a slow meeting, thinking I'd be able to progress to a conclusion during it! Now it's hotted up!

So I'd like to know the latest that I can return to EDIT (i.e., improve a post), from the time of posting.

Or else, just DELETE it; which I'd like to avoid.

Thank you.
dlgoff
Apr27-12, 07:49 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,726
Quote Quote by Gordon Watson View Post
How long does the EDIT facility stay available on a PF post, please?

I've searched but cannot find the answer.

Is it 24 hours?

I've posted in a slow meeting, thinking I'd be able to progress to a conclusion during it! Now it's hotted up!

So I'd like to know the latest that I can return to EDIT (i.e., improve a post), from the time of posting.

Or else, just DELETE it; which I'd like to avoid.

Thank you.
See http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=590614 for the time limit and some explanations as to why.
Gordon Watson
Apr27-12, 08:07 PM
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
See http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=590614 for the time limit and some explanations as to why.
Don, Many thanks. Limit is no problem for me, being essential. 700 minutes seems more than fair!

Gordon
Gordon Watson
May7-12, 07:16 AM
Please: What time is allowed to work on a post before you are "timed out ("token expired" I believe is the term)? Thanks.

PS: As I see it: It means you lose what you've drafted! It can't be recovered: Or can it?
Ryan_m_b
May7-12, 07:21 AM
Mentor
P: 5,473
Please: What time is allowed to work on a post before you are "timed out ("token expired" I believe is the term)? Thanks.

PS: As I see it: It means you lose what you've drafted! It can't be recovered: Or can it?
When you log in make sure you tick the remember me box and you'll never have this problem. Because I always do this I don't have this problem so don't know how long you have.
Gordon Watson
May7-12, 12:07 PM
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
When you log in make sure you tick the remember me box and you'll never have this problem. Because I always do this I don't have this problem so don't know how long you have.
Thanks Ryan, thanks for quick reply: BUT I'm sure that I'm permanently logged in! That is, when I come to PF each day, it says, "Welcome, Gordon Watson" and tells me when I last logged in.

Here's what happened: I was working on a long detailed post, and was called away for a few hours (thinking my intermittent draft-post was safe). When I came back -- BANG! Timed out ("token something" message = big loss) -- and the PF message about back-button was wrong because it just kept repeating the same message.

SO I'm thinking you maybe have not been on to the same extreme as I: And that there is a good limit, not infinite?

Gordon
micromass
May7-12, 01:35 PM
Mentor
P: 18,299
If you checked the "Remember Me" box, then you should never log out. Are you certain you checked the box??

In any case, it's safe to say that you should try to compose your posts in a text editor so it doesn't get lost.
Gordon Watson
May7-12, 03:56 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
If you checked the "Remember Me" box, then you should never log out. Are you certain you checked the box??

In any case, it's safe to say that you should try to compose your posts in a text editor so it doesn't get lost.
Yes, I'm certain. And I suspect that is not the problem: because I was still logged in when I awoke the computer from sleep.

The problem has to do with (something like) "YOUR TOKEN HAS EXPIRED: Press the 'back' key to return to the thread you were in."

So: Problem 1: Loss of data entered. Problem 2: Back key just delivered the same message (again and again).

PS: I'm not complaining about limited time; just want to know what it is. And text editor is what I used: except for finalising the post (my fault) when I was formatting and tweeking the text, etc. (i.e., adding some good bits) for about an hour (my fault again), BUT thought I was safe.
dlgoff
May7-12, 04:20 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,726
...I suspect that is not the problem: because I was still logged in when I awoke the computer from sleep.
I'm still logged in when I wake my Windows 7 computer. Instead of the "Press the 'back' key to return to the thread you were in", just try refreshing. Works for me.
Gordon Watson
May7-12, 04:24 PM
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
I'm still logged in when I wake my Windows 7 computer. Instead of the "Press the 'back' key to return to the thread you were in", just try refreshing. Works for me.
Yep, me too, on a Mac! Nice entry!

However: The winners cheque will go to the response that talks knowingly about TOKENS and TIME-OUTS; informing us all!

PS: A thought that might split the winnings!

Could it possibly be the same system that sets an "editing time-slot" limit of 700 minutes? Could it be that the editing system works via the same "TOKEN" system (but hides it)? For is it not editing that one is doing when to "TOKEN-expiry" message appears? Just maybe: EDITING an un-posted message has a limit < 700 minutes?
shalikadm
May7-12, 04:44 PM
P: 63
This forum is the most busy forum I ever found...hmm..
Waiting for replies for 2 or 3 days...and have to remind them by a PM about the thread..."have you forgot it ?"
Evo
May7-12, 10:35 PM
Mentor
P: 26,550
Quote Quote by shalikadm View Post
This forum is the most busy forum I ever found...hmm..
Waiting for replies for 2 or 3 days...and have to remind them by a PM about the thread..."have you forgot it ?"
Please do not make a habit of PMng members to help. Everyone here is a volunteer. They have jobs and families. They will help when and if they can. Just remember that before you contact anyone.
shalikadm
May7-12, 10:51 PM
P: 63
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Please do not make a habit of PMng members to help. Everyone here is a volunteer. They have jobs and families. They will help when and if they can. Just remember that before you contact anyone.
Yes,I strictly believe about what you say...they are volunteers..Yes they have families and jobs..that's true..!

Register to reply