I just dont get the idea on how to do this [projectile motion]

In summary, when a body is projected at an angle "theta" with the horizontal above a height 'h', the preferred technique is to break the motion into two independent components, vertical and horizontal. By writing F=ma for the two components separately and using trigonometry to find the components of the initial velocity, the maximum height and range can be calculated by treating the motion as a combination of horizontal and vertical motions.
suryanarayan
i don't know how this works...when a body is projected at an angle "theta" with the horizontal above a height 'h'...what is its maximum height and maximum range?should i just treat it as two separate motions or is there another way to do it...i can solve if it is just a parabolic projection from the ground or if it is horizontal projection from an height(parallel to the horizontal)

please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The preferred technique is to break the motion into two independent components, vertical and horizontal. You can write F=ma for the two componenents separately, and the only thing that connects them is they share the same "t" (time). Often, the horizontal (x) component is simply motion at a constant speed, x=vt. The vertical (y) component is the same as if you throw a particle straight up with some initial speed u. Then note that v and u are the components of the initial velocity, using trigonometry on the angle theta.

1. How do I calculate the initial velocity for projectile motion?

In order to calculate the initial velocity for projectile motion, you can use the formula V0 = √(g * d / sin2θ), where V0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), d is the horizontal distance, and θ is the angle of elevation.

2. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object in the x-axis, while the vertical component refers to the motion in the y-axis. The horizontal component is affected by the initial velocity and the absence of air resistance, while the vertical component is affected by gravity.

3. How can I find the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be found by using the formula Hmax = V0² * sin²θ / (2 * g), where Hmax is the maximum height, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = V0² * sin2θ / g, where R is the range, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are the different types of projectile motion?

The two main types of projectile motion are horizontal projectile motion, where the initial velocity is completely horizontal, and oblique projectile motion, where the initial velocity has both horizontal and vertical components. Within oblique projectile motion, there are three subtypes: upward projectile motion, downward projectile motion, and at an angle projectile motion.