Which diameter of two core cable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential power loss in cables used for solar PV panels, due to changes in the Feed in Tariff in the UK. The question is posed regarding the necessary cross sectional area of cable to keep power loss to 10%. Reference is made to a copper wire resistance table and an example calculation is provided. The speaker also clarifies that this calculation is for only one conductor, with two conductors representing a total of 12.5 watts.
blimthepixie
Hello all,

First time here and first time posting. Just like to say a quick hello before getting started...

Due to the rise of solar PV panels being installed before the Feed in Tariff was cut earlier this year (in the UK) I've been thinking about the cable losses that these incur.

Imagine a relatively small, 5 kW system with a peak power rating of 175W (and 5A). This array is 30m from the control electronics and is using 2-core cable. (Copper having a resistivity of 1.69 x 10^-6 m^3).

What cross sectional area of cable will be needed to keep power loss in the cable to around 10%?.

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this and if I've negated to mention anything important just let me know...

Physics news on Phys.org
Use this copper wire resistance table http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
For example, 14 Ga. copper wire is rated at 5.9 amps max, and has a resistance of 2.5 ohms per 1000 feet. So for 30 meters = 100 feet, the power loss is I2 R = 52·0 .25 = 6.25 watts.

Bob S said:
Use this copper wire resistance table http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
For example, 14 Ga. copper wire is rated at 5.9 amps max, and has a resistance of 2.5 ohms per 1000 feet. So for 30 meters = 100 feet, the power loss is I2 R = 52·0 .25 = 6.25 watts.
Sorry. This is for only one conductor. Two conductors represent 12.5 watts.

1. What is the difference between two core cable and single core cable?

In a two core cable, there are two separate conductors running parallel to each other, while in a single core cable, there is only one conductor. This means that a two core cable can carry two separate electrical signals, while a single core cable can only carry one.

2. How do I determine the appropriate diameter for a two core cable?

The appropriate diameter for a two core cable depends on the amount of current that needs to be carried, the length of the cable, and the type of insulation used. It is important to consult a cable sizing chart or consult a professional to determine the correct diameter for your specific application.

3. Can I use a smaller diameter two core cable to save money?

No, it is not recommended to use a smaller diameter two core cable as it may not be able to handle the required amount of current, which can lead to overheating and potential safety hazards. It is important to choose the appropriate diameter for the specific application to ensure safety and proper functioning.

4. What is the maximum distance a two core cable can be used?

The maximum distance a two core cable can be used depends on the type of insulation, the amount of current being carried, and the voltage. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications or consult a professional to determine the maximum distance for your specific application.

5. Is there a difference in diameter for indoor and outdoor two core cables?

Yes, there is a difference in diameter for indoor and outdoor two core cables. Outdoor cables require thicker insulation and a larger diameter to withstand exposure to weather and other environmental factors. It is important to use the appropriate type and diameter of two core cable for the specific application to ensure safety and proper functioning.