How's the superposed waves are moving?

• Thread starter KFC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, superposed waves refer to the combination of two or more individual waves to create a new wave pattern. This can result in either constructive or destructive interference. Superposition and interference are related but have distinct differences. Superposed waves can move in different directions depending on the individual waves being combined. They can also cancel each other out through destructive interference. Some real-life applications of superposed waves include music production, medical imaging, and telecommunications.
KFC
Hi there,
Suppose there are two plane waves with different wavevector and frequency, the superposition of these waves give
[tex]\phi(x, t) = 2\cos(k'x + w't)\cos(k''x + w''t)[/tex]
with
[tex]k'=(k_1+k_2)/2, w'=(w_1+w_2)/2[/tex]

[tex]k''=(k_1-k_2)/2, w''=(w_1-w_2)/2[/tex]

here [tex]\cos(k''x + w''t)[/tex] gives the oscillation and [tex]\cos(k'x + w't)[/tex] is the envelope. My question is if I look at the very first crest when x=0, t=0 and I attach a "point" to that. How can I trace the movement of that point? Can we just look at [tex]\cos(k''x + w''t)[/tex] and say that the every point is moving at the phase velocity w''/k''? I am not sure the physics behind that but seems it is not correct. But with several trials, I find that it seems the point (crest of the second cosine for example) is moving at the speed [tex](w'+w'')/(k'+k'')[/tex], is that correct? why?

I want to trace the crest point and I know that the magnitude of the crest is changing on the envelope and it is correct at different time and space. So I initially fix the initial position xi = 0; yi = 2; for the crest. Then by enumerating the time, we can find the new x and new y for the crest as

x = (w'+w'')/(k'+k'')*t;
y = 2*cos(k'x + w't);

but when I plot this point at different t, it doesn't really move as I expect. Any idea how to trace a point? I want to plot something like the red point shown here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wave_group.gif

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance!The equation you provided, \phi(x, t) = 2\cos(k'x + w't)\cos(k''x + w''t),describes the superposition of two waves which represent the envelope and oscillation. The crest point (or any other point) can be traced by looking at the oscillation component, \cos(k''x + w''t). This is because it is the oscillation that determines the size, shape, and position of the wave. To trace the movement of the point, we can use the angular velocity equation, w''/k''. This equation tells us that the point is going to move with an angular velocity w''/k''. The speed of the point is then given by the magnitude of the velocity, |v| = |w''/k''|. So to trace the point, you need to solve the equation x = (w'+w'')/(k'+k'')*t;y = 2*cos(k'x + w't);for different values of t. Then you will have the x and y coordinates of the point at different times. With these coordinates, you can then plot the trajectory of the point.

1. How do superposed waves move?

Superposed waves move by combining two or more individual waves, resulting in a new wave pattern. This occurs when waves overlap and interfere with each other, either constructively or destructively.

2. What is the difference between superposition and interference?

Superposition refers to the combination of two or more waves to create a new wave pattern, while interference refers to the interaction of these waves resulting in either constructive or destructive interference.

3. Do superposed waves always move in the same direction?

No, superposed waves can move in different directions depending on the direction of the individual waves that are being combined. The resulting direction of the superposed wave will depend on the relative amplitudes and frequencies of the individual waves.

4. Can superposed waves cancel each other out?

Yes, superposed waves can cancel each other out through destructive interference. This occurs when the peaks and troughs of two waves align and cancel out, resulting in a wave with a lower amplitude or no wave at all.

5. What are some real-life applications of superposed waves?

Superposed waves have many practical applications, such as in music production, where multiple sound waves are combined to create a richer, more complex sound. They are also used in medical imaging, such as in ultrasound imaging, where waves are superposed to create a clearer image. Additionally, superposed waves are used in telecommunications, such as in radio and television broadcasting, to transmit signals over long distances.