Evaporation of Bourbon from a Wooden Barrel

In summary, if the barrel is completely sealed, then none is lost to the angels. However, if the barrel has some permeability, then alcohol will pass through and be lost. To calculate how much has been lost, you can use the measured losses or the permeability.
potus77
How would i go about calculating the loss of Bourbon 120 proof 60% ALC/VOL and/or Water from a wooden barrel stored in a warehouse, knowing the ambient temp, RH% and Dew Point, Know as the angels share. per period of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the wooden storage barrel sealed? Completely closed? If yes, then none lost to the Angels. But, if the wood has some permeability, which would allow alcohol to pass through, then yes, you would lose some. How to calculate that amount? Sorry, but I've no idea how.

Flow through the wall of a permeable cylindrical object can be modeled as:

[tex] v_{R}=\frac{K}{\mu} \frac{\Delta p}{d}[/tex]

Where v is the velocity of the radial flow (i.e. out of the container), K the permeability, μ the viscosity of the fluid, and Δp/d the pressure gradient between inside and outside. Using the vapor pressure of EtOH (6 kPa), a wall thickness of 2 cm, and a permeability of wood of 0.1 milliDarcy (a crude estimate based on http://eng.med.wanfangdata.com.cn/PaperDetail.aspx?qkid=zwxb&qcode=zwxb200102002 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy). Then, convert v to a volume flow Q = v* area of barrel- I estimated 0.3 liters/hr, which is *way* too high.

Alternatively, you can use the measured losses as a measurement of K. A barrel holds about 180 liters and is aged for (say) 7 years- a 30% loss is 9*10^-4 liters/hr, so the permeability is likely closer to 0.1 microDarcy.

Thanks,

how to predict evaporation from white oak bourbon and scotch barrels has been a century old challenge. we put 53 gallons of 124 proof spirits in a oak barrel place it in a warehouse for 4-8 years. when the barrel is emptied 22% of the liquid is gone. there are times when the volume of water is lower and the alcohol is higher, other times the water is higher and the alcohol is lower. This seems to be related to the temperature and RH% in the warehouse. The alcohol or water wicks through the wood of the barrel. I was wondering what was happening. Some say it is Vapor Pressure Deficit between the liquid in the barrel and the ambient temperature and RH% anyone have a guess? how can we measure the temperature, RH% or dew point of the warehouse and predict what will leave the barrels??

The vapor pressure of water at 25C is about 3 kPa, so by measuring the RH with (say) a hygrometer, you can calculate the pressure gradient for water. The permeability for water through the barrel is assuredly different than ethanol, and I'm sure there considerable variation in the permeability from barrel to barrel for both.

I'm curious about water leaving faster than ethanol- that's not what I would expect. Was there something unusual?

1. What is the process of evaporation from a wooden barrel?

The process of evaporation from a wooden barrel involves the conversion of liquid bourbon into vapor due to the exposure to air and heat. This process is known as vaporization, where the molecules in the liquid gain enough energy to break free and become a gas.

2. How does the wooden barrel affect the evaporation of bourbon?

The wooden barrel plays a significant role in the evaporation of bourbon. The wood is porous and allows air to pass through, which helps with the oxidation process and enhances the evaporation of the bourbon. The wood also adds flavors and aromas to the bourbon as it evaporates.

3. Is the rate of evaporation affected by the type of wood used for the barrel?

Yes, the type of wood used for the barrel can affect the rate of evaporation. Different types of wood have different levels of porosity, which can impact the amount of air and heat that can pass through the barrel and affect the rate of evaporation.

4. What factors can influence the evaporation rate of bourbon from a wooden barrel?

The evaporation rate of bourbon from a wooden barrel can be influenced by various factors, including temperature, humidity, air circulation, and the amount of liquid in the barrel. Higher temperatures and lower humidity levels can lead to a faster evaporation rate, while the amount of liquid in the barrel can also affect the rate of evaporation.

5. Does evaporation from a wooden barrel affect the flavor of bourbon?

Yes, evaporation from a wooden barrel can affect the flavor of bourbon. As the bourbon evaporates, it leaves behind more concentrated flavors and aromas in the remaining liquid. This process, known as the angel's share, can enhance the overall flavor profile of the bourbon and make it more complex and nuanced.