How is copper carbonate formed in nature

In summary, copper carbonate is formed through a process called weathering in which copper minerals react with carbon dioxide and water in the atmosphere. It can be found in various forms in nature, including as a mineral called malachite, in sedimentary rocks, and in soils and water sources. The time it takes for copper carbonate to form can vary greatly and is influenced by factors such as the presence of copper minerals, availability of carbon dioxide and water, type of rock or soil, and environmental conditions. The formation of copper carbonate in nature is important for the cycling of copper in the environment and the formation of copper ore deposits. It also has various industrial and agricultural uses, making it a valuable natural resource.
val1ant
i read on wikipedia that
2 Cu (s) + H2O (g) + CO2 + O2 → Cu(OH)2 + CuCO3 (s)

although doesn't the copper form copper oxide first? and then the copper oxide reacts with water and CO2 to form copper carbonate and copper hydroxide?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Wikipedia gives just the overall reaction equation. No idea about exact mechanism, although I would be surprised if it would be not researched to death. Sorry, I have no access to literature so I can't check it.

1. How does copper carbonate form in nature?

Copper carbonate is formed through a process called weathering, where copper minerals react with carbon dioxide and water in the atmosphere. This reaction results in the formation of copper carbonate, which can then be found in rocks, soils, and sedimentary deposits.

2. Where can copper carbonate be found in nature?

Copper carbonate can be found in various forms in nature, including as a mineral called malachite, which is commonly found in copper ore deposits. It can also be found in sedimentary rocks, such as limestone and dolomite, and in soils and water sources.

3. How long does it take for copper carbonate to form in nature?

The formation of copper carbonate in nature can vary in time depending on the environmental conditions and the availability of copper minerals. In some cases, it can take millions of years for copper carbonate to form, while in others it can form relatively quickly.

4. What factors influence the formation of copper carbonate in nature?

The formation of copper carbonate in nature is influenced by several factors, including the presence of copper minerals, the availability of carbon dioxide and water, the type of rock or soil, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and pH levels.

5. Is the formation of copper carbonate in nature important?

Yes, the formation of copper carbonate in nature is important for several reasons. It plays a crucial role in the cycling of copper in the environment, as well as in the formation of copper ore deposits. Copper carbonate is also used in various industrial and agricultural applications, making it an important natural resource.