physics p & d

by Shordaay
Tags: physics
Shordaay
May10-12, 08:22 PM
P: 9
i have to plan and design an experiment based on this outline: " excellent thermal conductors are also excellent electrical conductors"

could i get any ideas please?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
marcusl
May10-12, 08:29 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
Welcome to PF! It is not the policy here to do students' homework for them, but we can certainly help you when you get stuck. Please start your research, and come back with a post of what you've learned and how you think you might do this experiment. We can reply with comments and suggestions.
nasu
May10-12, 08:30 PM
P: 1,902
You could show that the statement is not true, in general, by using diamond as an example : excellent thermal conductor (better than copper) and very, very poor electrical conductor (or rather very good insulator).

256bits
May10-12, 08:56 PM
P: 1,259

physics p & d

I guess salted water would fall under excellent electrical conductor but a so-so thermal conductor.
Bob S
May10-12, 09:13 PM
P: 4,664
Quote Quote by nasu View Post
You could show that the statement is not true, in general, by using diamond as an example : excellent thermal conductor (better than copper) and very, very poor electrical conductor (or rather very good insulator).
Another is beryllium oxide. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_oxide
nasu
May11-12, 09:21 AM
Quote Quote by Bob S View Post
Another is beryllium oxide. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_oxide
Thank you for the extra example. I did not know about this one.
nasu
May11-12, 09:26 AM
Quote Quote by 256bits View Post
I guess salted water would fall under excellent electrical conductor but a so-so thermal conductor.
It's rather so-so in both respects, if you compare with a metal.
marcusl
May11-12, 05:56 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
Bob, beryllium copper is classified as a hazardous material. Not a good choice for a science project.
Bob S
May12-12, 11:18 AM
Quote Quote by marcusl View Post
Bob, beryllium copper is classified as a hazardous material. Not a good choice for a science project.
I attach a Material Safety Data Sheet for beryllium-copper (see http://www.csunitec.com/technical/MS...ium%202008.pdf).

Environmental In solid form, beryllium-copper alloys are not detrimental to the
environment.

Waste treatment Scrap must not be melted or treated in such a way as to release
airborne dust or fog. Scrap material must only be melted in special
furnaces. Scrap material can be handed in at approved disposal sites.
Contact the local authorities in case of doubt.
Transport Transportation of the material in solid form(i.e. in original or scrap
form) is harmless. No EU safety warning is required

Beryllium-copper (up to ~ 3% Be) is a hard springy alloy of copper. We used to have a set of beryllium-copper tools- screwdrivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, for use around big magnets (cyclotrons) and liquid hydrogen targets, because Be-Cu tools are both non magnetic and non sparking. Do not sand or machine beryllium copper, which will produce toxic dust.

Beryllium oxide (http://www.americanberyllia.com/lit/...Oxide_MSDS.pdf), used as a thermally conducting insulator, is harmful, and should not be handled with bare hands. Also true for bare metal, used for thermalizing neutrons and slowing down charged particles with minimum multiple scattering.
flatmaster
May12-12, 11:29 AM
P: 502
You could also talk about the mechanism for conduction. Liquids and gasses can conduct heat via convection; The liquid or gas is actually moving to carry the heat. You can't conduct electricity via convection.
sophiecentaur
May12-12, 12:27 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,352
AFAIK, Berillium is a dangerous substance to Machine (i.e. if you inhale the dust). You can find it all over the place in high power RF equipment.
Bob S
May12-12, 01:09 PM
Quote Quote by Shordaay View Post
i have to plan and design an experiment based on this outline: " excellent thermal conductors are also excellent electrical conductors"

could i get any ideas please?
Look up the physics law relating the ratio of the electronic contribution to the thermal conductivity (κ) and the electrical conductivity (σ).

Register to reply