by jimbobian
Tags: formula, reduction, validity
Share this thread:
jimbobian
May11-12, 10:31 AM
P: 52
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If In denotes [tex]\int_0^∞ \! \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^n} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
Prove that [itex]2nI_{n+1} = (2n-1)I_n[/itex], and state the values of n for which this reduction formula is valid.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]I_n=\int_0^∞ \! \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^n} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
[tex]=\int_0^∞ \! (1+x^2)^{-n} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
By parts:
[tex]=\left[ x(1+x^2)^{-n} \right]_0^∞ + 2n\int_0^∞ \! \frac{x^2}{(1+x^2)^{n+1}} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
[tex]=0 + 2n\int_0^∞ \! \frac{(1+x^2)-1}{(1+x^2)^{n+1}} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
[tex]=2n\int_0^∞ \! \frac{(1+x^2)}{(1+x^2)^{n+1}} \, \mathrm{d} x - 2n\int_0^∞ \! \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^{n+1}} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
[tex]=2nI_{n}-2nI_{n+1}[/tex]
[tex]2nI_{n+1}=(2n-1)I_{n}[/tex]
as required.

It's the next bit where I'm stuck - the range of values for which n is valid. Obviously when part of the integral has been evaluated (following parts), this requires that n>0 otherwise the expression doesn't converge. I can't see anywhere else in the method where there is a restriction for n to be a specific value so I went with n>0 as my answer, but my book says n>1/2, can anyway shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
andrien
May11-12, 10:56 AM
P: 1,020
the expression inside the integral is always positive and so does the integral.at n=1/2 the integral does not converge and observe that at n=1/2 ,I(n+1) is zero and for 0<n<1/2, I(n+1) is negative.
Dickfore
May11-12, 11:29 AM
P: 3,014
you should use:
[tex]
\frac{1}{(1 + x^2)^n} = \frac{1 + x^2 - x^2}{(1 + x^2)^n} = \frac{1}{(1 + x^2)^{n - 1}} - \frac{x^2}{(1 + x^2)^n}
[/tex]
For the integral of the second term, use integration by parts:
[tex]
-\int_{0}^{\infty}{x \, \frac{x}{(1 + x^2)^n} \, dx}
[/tex]
[tex]
u = x \Rightarrow du = dx
[/tex]
[tex]
dv = \frac{x}{(1 + x^2)^n} \, dx \Rightarrow v = \int{ \frac{x}{(1 + x^2)^n} \, dx} \stackrel{t = 1 + x^2}{=} \frac{1}{2} \, \int{t^{-n} \, dt} = \frac{t^{1- n}}{2(1 - n)} = -\frac{1}{2 (n - 1) (1 + x^2)^{n - 1}}
[/tex]
Combine everything, identify the relevant integrals with [itex]I_n[/itex], and [itex]I_{n - 1}[/itex], and see what you get.

Dickfore
May11-12, 11:31 AM
Validity of Reduction Formula

Oh, I see you already did the steps. As for the range of validity, answer these questions:

1) What is the value of the integral [itex]\int{t^{-n} \, dt}[/itex] for [itex]n = 1[/itex]?

2) When does the integrated out part [itex]\frac{x}{2(n - 1)(1 + x^2)^{n - 1}}[/itex] converge when [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?
Whovian
May11-12, 11:34 AM
P: 643
Quote Quote by Dickfore View Post
Oh, I see you already did the steps. As for the range of validity, answer these questions:

1) What is the value of the integral [itex]\int{t^{-n} \, dt}[/itex] for [itex]n = 1[/itex]?

2) When does the integrated out part [itex]\frac{x}{2(n - 1)(1 + x^2)^{n - 1}[/itex] converge when [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?
Please preview your posts, LaTeX errors happen all the time.
jimbobian
May11-12, 01:23 PM
P: 52
Quote Quote by Dickfore View Post

2) When does the integrated out part [itex]\frac{x}{2(n - 1)(1 + x^2)^{n - 1}}[/itex] converge when [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?
Thanks for your response.

1) ln(t), so this would suggest it doesn't converge for n=1?

2) Firstly I'm not sure where you've got this fraction from, I can't find it in any working of yours or mine? It would converge for n>1 for sure. For n=1 it won't converge, but for n<1 I have no idea?
Dickfore
May11-12, 08:08 PM
what is [itex]u v[/itex] in the integration by parts?

Register to reply