Converting equations in Natural units to SI?

by lordkelvin
Tags: converting, equations, natural, units
lordkelvin
May11-12, 10:51 AM
P: 22
How can I convert an equation in units where hbar = c = 1 into an equation with hbar and c in SI units? I searched around a bit and wasn't able to find anything (I'm probably not asking the right question). Is there some general way to do it rather than just intuition from having seen the equations before with hbar and c in them?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
mfb
May11-12, 11:52 AM
Mentor
P: 10,808
Simply multiply the value with appropriate powers of hbar and c to get the correct unit.

You have 1MeV as a result and want a mass? It is 1MeV/c^2. You have 1/MeV as result and want a time? It is hbar/MeV. And so on.
lordkelvin
May11-12, 01:25 PM
P: 22
I have a dispersion relation that involves some constants (and it's in natural units so no c or hbar shows up). I'd like to plot E versus k using this equation with k and E in SI units.
There are some terms with k^2/(2m) so I can just multiply those by hbar^2, but then there's another term that is only linear in k which I don't know what to do with. I would like to be able to multiply it by some combo of hbar and c but I have no way of knowing whether it's right. So I have a term that is in units of 1eV of inverse length, what do I multiply by? hbar*c?

mfb
May12-12, 10:18 AM
Mentor
P: 10,808

Converting equations in Natural units to SI?

if you have [k/m] = 1/(m*kg), this is not equivalent to an energy with hbar=c=1.
Or do you have a simple k? Well, [k]=1/m, so [k*hbar*c]=1/m Js m/s = J.
Correct, multiply by hbar*c.

Register to reply