Pressure temp volume

by bfusco
Tags: pressure, temp, volume
Share this thread:
bfusco
May11-12, 12:44 PM
P: 128
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i am just reviewing for a test and doing some practice questions. i disagreed with one of the answers and now i am uncertain about the relationships between pressure volume and temp. i thought the relationships were:

as pressure increases, temp increases, volume decreases (any combo of these three)
as pressure decreases, temp decreases, volume increases (any combo of these three)

and just incase these are correct and maybe im interpreting the question wrong, the questions is basically given a picture of piping varying in size, at which point in the pipe is the water under the least pressure.

i thought i would be at the point of largest volume, but the answer according to my teacher is a point with the least volume.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
gneill
May11-12, 10:36 PM
Mentor
P: 11,689
Is the water stationary or moving? Water is essentially incompressible so it doesn't behave like a gas with regards to pressure and volume, and volume versus temperature change is pretty small as long as it remains liquid. For moving gases or fluids the pressure is related to the velocity; you need to be concerned with Bernoulli's equation.
bfusco
May12-12, 12:45 PM
P: 128
according to the solutions sheet, the pressure is at its lowest at the thinnest part of the pipe, i thought it would be at the widest part of the pipe (greater diameter).

and yes the water is moving

NascentOxygen
May12-12, 09:08 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,361
Pressure temp volume

Search google images for venturi meter

Register to reply