Component of the quadrupole Q_ij

by ellocomateo
Tags: component, quadrupole
Share this thread:
ellocomateo
May12-12, 01:13 PM
P: 6
Hello,

I do not manage to visualize the link between the component of the quadrupole Q_ij and the spatial distribution of the electric quadrupole field.

I was told to imagine the Q_ij as an ellipsoid, which I understand (the ellipsoid "radius" in a given direction being the strength of the quadrupole along this direction). Yet what is the link between the Q_ij and the usual representation in Slide 12 of this file?:
cems.uvm.edu/~oughstun/LectureNotes141/Topic_09%20%28ElectrostaticMultipoles%29.pdf

In particular, I want to find out when does the gradient \nabla_k Q_ij equal zero? When i,j =! k ?

Pleeeease, help!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
What is Nothing?
How computing is transforming materials science research
Bob S
May12-12, 09:59 PM
P: 4,663
The azimuthal gradient of V(r,θ,[itex]\varphi[/itex]) in slide 11 is proportional to [itex] \frac{d}{d\theta}\left(3\cos^2\theta-1 \right)=6\sin\theta\cos\theta=3\sin\left(2\theta \right) [/itex]
ellocomateo
May13-12, 12:14 AM
Thank you for commenting, but how does this translate to the i and j ?

Bob S
May13-12, 03:51 PM
Component of the quadrupole Q_ij

Quote Quote by ellocomateo View Post
Thank you for commenting, but how does this translate to the i and j ?
Perhaps you and I are looking at different slides and/or files. I am looking at slide 12 of the file
http://www.cems.uvm.edu/~oughstun/Le...tipoles%29.pdf
which is a plot of the equipotential lines of V(r,θ,φ) of a linear electric quadrupole.
ellocomateo
May13-12, 04:00 PM
We are looking on the same graph, but I still do not see how I should label the axes.
There is no information whatsoever on this point. Or at least I do not see it.
Bob S
May14-12, 09:17 PM
The plot is a combination of the gradient and the equipotential lines of V(r,θ,φ) using r and z as axes. The four-fold symmetry indicates it is a quadrupole field.

Register to reply