How does deregulation mean more economic freedom for everyone?

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: deregulation, economic, freedom
Pythagorean
Nov4-12, 06:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,180
To be honest, you can't see trickle-down from pie portions, you have to look at whether the whole pie grew or shrunk relative to inflation and gas/food prices. I think it still fails this test, but this is also in the wake of a recession.
OmCheeto
Nov4-12, 11:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,369
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
To be honest, you can't see trickle-down from pie portions, you have to look at whether the whole pie grew or shrunk relative to inflation and gas/food prices. I think it still fails this test, but this is also in the wake of a recession.
hmmm.... I'm not quite sure what you're saying.

All I know is that we are trading information, on a platform, created by, whom I would now call, hippies.

There are those with ideas, that change the world for the better. And there are those with ideas, that suck the life out of it.

Regulation decides, or, IMHO, should decide, who profits more.

russ_watters
Nov5-12, 06:12 AM
Mentor
P: 21,994
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
Oh! Look at that bottom 40%. Virtually nothing to show for all their tax cuts.
How can you show the impact of a change with a chart that shows one moment in time?

Also, distribution of wealth is a very poor indicator because standard of living does not correlate well with wealth, particularly after the popping of the housing bubble inverted a lot of mortgages.
What did they do with all that money we didn't tax them I wonder.
Probably bought crack!
How is that useful?
OmCheeto
Nov5-12, 09:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,369
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
How is that useful?
Election's tomorrow.

You don't like poor people that don't pay federal taxes.

I don't like crackheads, as they steal my **** when I'm at work.

I thought maybe we had something in common.
russ_watters
Nov6-12, 01:01 PM
Mentor
P: 21,994
I have no idea what the median income is for crackheads, but it sounds like you are implying some sort of corellation.... You're kind of all over the place though, so I don't see your point.
Naty1
Nov6-12, 04:12 PM
P: 5,634
Jim Kata: [QUOTE..., but it doesn't matter because I am done talking to you after this post. [/QUOTE]

too bad you did not quit sooner and spare us.
Bacle2
Nov7-12, 04:25 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,168
Quote Quote by Naty1 View Post
Jim Kata: [QUOTE..., but it doesn't matter because I am done talking to you after this post.

too bad you did not quit sooner and spare us.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself.
Naty1
Nov8-12, 06:55 AM
P: 5,634
Just heard a report on the news: Regulatory rules cost US business about $1 trillion annually in regulatory compliance costs.

It was not specified, but I assume this is beyond IRS tax requirements. In a $15T economy, that can't help competitiveness.
DosCadenas
Apr11-13, 11:33 AM
P: 7
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Everyone.

That's what across-the-board tax cuts do, for example. A trillion dollars in tax cuts and a trillion dollars in stimulus have the same initial effect on the country's balance sheet, but the tax cuts give you the choice of how to spend the money whereas the direct stimulus is the government choosing where to spend the money (on failing alternate energy companies...?).
Wrong you fail to incorporate the multiplier effect and the marginal propensity to save. Government stimulus is a direct increase to AD while cutting taxes aren't as effective.
enosis_
Apr11-13, 02:34 PM
P: 120
Quote Quote by DosCadenas View Post
Wrong you fail to incorporate the multiplier effect and the marginal propensity to save. Government stimulus is a direct increase to AD while cutting taxes aren't as effective.
Where is the multiplier in a failing alternate energy company (the example cited by Russ Waters in the post you responded to)?
Bacle2
Apr11-13, 05:10 PM
Sci Advisor
Still, when you give tax cuts to people who can already afford every thing they
want/need and more, those cuts are not usually spent in the "real economy"
but instead are saved or used in speculation. If you can already pay for everything
you want and more, what difference is a tax stimulus going to make?
ImaLooser
Apr11-13, 10:11 PM
P: 571
Quote Quote by Mentalist View Post
How does deregulation mean more economic freedom for everyone? Wages have been going down for 20+ years now, so I don't see much of the benefits. That is, unless, I am looking at it the wrong way. But cite some sources please.
Milton Friedman opposed the Equal Rights Amendment because it took away women's economic freedom to work for less money than a man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsIpQ7YguGE
enosis_
Apr11-13, 10:47 PM
Quote Quote by Bacle2 View Post
Still, when you give tax cuts to people who can already afford every thing they
want/need and more, those cuts are not usually spent in the "real economy"
but instead are saved or used in speculation. If you can already pay for everything
you want and more, what difference is a tax stimulus going to make?
Tax credits can be designed to spur investment in equipment and technology.
Bacle2
Apr12-13, 07:38 AM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by enosis_ View Post
Tax credits can be designed to spur investment in equipment and technology.
Sorry, I meant individuals, not corporations.

At the end of the day, I think the best idea is to have different institutions: family, government, the market,army, etc. serve as checks-and-balances on each other's power, to prevent any one institution from gaining too much power.
Bacle2
Apr12-13, 07:43 AM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by ImaLooser View Post
Milton Friedman opposed the Equal Rights Amendment because it took away women's economic freedom to work for less money than a man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsIpQ7YguGE
I'm not sure if I ever believed that women actually do the same work as men for
less pay; no one would hire a man if this was the case. Why not hire all women, pay
them 70% of what a man earns(some women claimed they get paid "$.70 for every $1 a man was paid) and pocket the difference?

Still, for someone who so praised the "creative destruction" that resulted from free markets,
he had no problem accepting tenure. Maybe he should have let his students decide if he was good-enough to remain as a professor.
ImaLooser
Apr13-13, 02:37 AM
P: 571
Quote Quote by Bacle2 View Post
I'm not sure if I ever believed that women actually do the same work as men for
less pay; no one would hire a man if this was the case. Why not hire all women, pay
them 70% of what a man earns(some women claimed they get paid "$.70 for every $1 a man was paid) and pocket the difference?

Still, for someone who so praised the "creative destruction" that resulted from free markets,
he had no problem accepting tenure. Maybe he should have let his students decide if he was good-enough to remain as a professor.
It has been my observation in twenty years in a very competitive business that profit is not the main priority of business. Maintaining the social hierarchy is more important.

Good one about the tenure. Free market for you, protection for me.
Bacle2
Apr13-13, 07:11 AM
Sci Advisor
It has been my observation in twenty years in a very competitive business that profit is not the main priority of business. Maintaining the social hierarchy is more important.

But, do the shareholders know about this?

It is just that I have never seen any study that support that claim,meaning the claim that women are paid less _for the same work_--and I have asked for it. There are also women demographics who do better economically than their respective male demographics, but women do not mention that, nor do they seem bothered by the fact that they do better than man in many areas (lower rate of inprisonment,of deaths on the job, lower highschool dropout rate). Just like you don't see any questioning of capitalism on the hard right ( with Fox as its mouthpiece) , you don't see any questioning of feminism on the hard left ( MSNBC). It is the same in both: cherry-picking the evidence. Report on issues/news that agree with your beliefs/views and ignore those that do not.
See if you can find a story on MSNBC on the family court system and how it favors women,or the stories about false accusations (proven false) of violence and rape by women ( they somehow forgot to include provisions for this in VAWA . Of course,no provisions for violence against men.) that have destroyed men's lives, etc. , or stories questioning the rationale for war , or how oil companies who are making trillions in profit are receiving tax breaks, on pedophile priests etc. on Fox.
But, hey, I had insomnia , but not enough money for premium cable, and did not want to watch infomercials at 5 a.m . Now I just read.
enosis_
Apr13-13, 07:48 AM

How does a business stay competitive if it's main concern is (self-imposed regulations?) maintaining the social heirarchy?

Register to reply