Urban Space Saving: Reducing Traffic with Raised Roadways and Shops

• Thread starter LughGlas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of heavy traffic in a residential and commercial area that is being redeveloped. The proposed solution is to create an elevated highway to bypass the congested area, but concerns are raised about the practicality and potential noise issues. The suggestion is made to learn from other cities that have successfully implemented similar elevated highways. The conversation ends with a recommendation to consider the examples of New York City, Shanghai, Mumbai, Taipei, and Rio de Janeiro.
LughGlas
I am attempting to make a plan for the re-development of a residential and commercial area, in a medium sized city. One of the major issues in this redesign is traffic... there is simply way too much of it. It is not possible to reduce the traffic load, due to the fact that an interstate highway, intersects here, with a major state highway, and which both intersect (closely) with 5 other local avenues.

One way I have come up with to reduce traffic in the area into make one of those major avenues essentially a bridge, which bypasses the whole area to be developed. But in an area where space is at a premium, it is not practical to simply make the avenue a non-intersecting thruway. This is where my question comes in. Is it practicable to place a 5 lane road, on top of special structures, which would double as both supports for the raised roadway, and as commercial shops?

I believe the roadway would be about 15' above the surrounding ground. My main concerns are integrity and noise. Would there be enough room underneath this roadway for shops? Second, if the shops were placed under the roadway, how much noise would there be in the shops? Would it be like a non-stop freight train running above your head? Or would it be more like white noise?

Any thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
LughGlas, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Instead of looking for a solution in a vacuum, why not examine how others have dealt with this? Whenever a question such as yours appears I always ask “Has this problem already been addressed elsewhere? The answer in this case is “Yes.” Many other cities throughout the world have faced similar congestion and built elevated highways. Learn from their mistakes and from their successes. Just for example, see what New York City, Shanghai, and Mumbai have done:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Side_Highway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expressways_of_Shanghai
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahar_Elevated_Access_Road

I always enjoyed shopping in Taipei, Taiwan under their elevated “Ring Road”.
And in Rio de Janeiro there is a remarkably effective system of the same scheme.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

1. What is urban space saving?

Urban space saving is the practice of utilizing limited space in urban areas more efficiently. This can include strategies such as building taller structures, compact development, and the use of raised roadways and shops.

2. How does raised roadways and shops reduce traffic?

Raised roadways and shops can help reduce traffic by separating vehicles from pedestrians and providing alternate routes for vehicles. This can help alleviate congestion on main roads and encourage the use of public transportation or alternative modes of transportation.

3. Are there any drawbacks to raised roadways and shops?

One potential drawback of raised roadways and shops is the initial cost of construction. These projects can be expensive and may require significant resources and planning. Additionally, raised roadways may not be suitable for all areas and may not always be aesthetically pleasing.

4. Can raised roadways and shops be implemented in any city?

While raised roadways and shops can be beneficial for reducing traffic and saving space in urban areas, they may not be suitable for every city. Factors such as infrastructure, topography, and local regulations may impact the feasibility of these projects.

5. How does this concept impact the environment?

Raised roadways and shops can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. While they can help reduce air pollution and promote sustainable transportation, construction of these structures may have a negative impact on local ecosystems. It is important to carefully consider the environmental implications and implement sustainable practices during construction.