How to solve two coupled pde's

by keyns
Tags: coupled, solve
Share this thread:
keyns
Nov9-12, 08:14 PM
P: 3
I'm new, hi all.

I have two coupled equations, one of which is continuity. Basically, my problem comes down to the following system:

(1) [itex]u=f(v)[/itex] (similarly, [itex]v=g(u)[/itex]. Here, u and v are the components of a vector field, ie u=u(x,y) and v=v(x,y).

(2) Continuity: [itex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{u} = 0[/itex] or [itex]u_{x}+v_{y}=0[/itex]

From here, I can find the following expressions

[itex]u_{x} = -g_{y} \left( u \right)[/itex]
[itex]v_{y} = -f_{x} \left( v \right)[/itex]

Which I think leaves an equation of the form [itex]G \left( u,u_{x},u_{y} \right)=0[/itex] and [itex]F \left( v,v_{x},v_{y} \right)=0[/itex]

It seems to me my original problem has two variables and I have two equations. I think this should be solvable, but I don't know how. Any help please? Thanks in advance!

--edit-- p.s. I'm looking for a numerical (discrete) solution.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Mute
Nov9-12, 09:51 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
Quote Quote by keyns View Post
I'm new, hi all.

I have two coupled equations, one of which is continuity. Basically, my problem comes down to the following system:

(1) [itex]u=f(v)[/itex] (similarly, [itex]v=g(u)[/itex]. Here, u and v are the components of a vector field, ie u=u(x,y) and v=v(x,y).
If u = f(v) and v = g(u), don't you just have a (possibly nonlinear) system of equations to solve for v and u? What is the continuity condition (2) for? Do you get more than one solution by solving (1) and you need (2) to choose a solution of interest?
keyns
Nov10-12, 05:21 AM
P: 3
Quote Quote by Mute View Post
If u = f(v) and v = g(u), don't you just have a (possibly nonlinear) system of equations to solve for v and u? What is the continuity condition (2) for? Do you get more than one solution by solving (1) and you need (2) to choose a solution of interest?
Actually I have only one relation for [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] that I can write it as [itex]u(v)[/itex] or [itex]v(u)[/itex]. Sorry for the confusion. Otherwise you would be right. To clarify my equations:

(1) A relation for [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] (if I have [itex]u[/itex], I have [itex]v[/itex] and vice versa)
(2) A relation for [itex]u_{x}[/itex] and [itex]v_{y}[/itex] (if I have [itex]u_{x}[/itex], I have [itex]v_{y}[/itex] and vice versa

--edit-- Which then, after some rewriting, leads to two ODE's [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]F[/itex] as stated before. I just don't know how to solve those.

Register to reply