Register to reply

High pressure air regulator

by suprant0010
Tags: pressure, regulator
Share this thread:
suprant0010
Nov10-12, 04:06 PM
P: 7
I'm working on a pneumatics project, which requires me to blast high pressure air through a set of solenoids.

The problem I'm having is controlling the air pressure. The bottle of compressed air comes with around 2000 psi when full. I found out through trial and error that my solenoids refuse to open on anything more than 1200-1300 psi.

I tried draining the bottle to a low enough pressure so the solenoids will open. Then I run into the issue of the pressure steadily dropping as I consume it, its no longer useful to me after it gets below 1000 psi.

I tried to track down a high pressure output regulator, but haven't had much luck. There seems to be a few companies out there making them, but they're quite expensive (300$-1000$), such as the one Parker makes. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to those expensive regulators? I can find 400-500 psi regulators all over for around 30$, do I really have to pay 10 times the price for 3 times the pressure?

What common application would use such a regulator? Searching for "high pressure regulator" doesn't seem to be working for me, I figure I could try and search for a particular industrial application that uses them.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test
Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA

Register to reply