60-80 mm refracting telescope for beginners

In summary: You can get a decent one for a few dollars at most sporting goods stores. The tripod shouldn't be a problem. You can get a decent one for a few dollars at most sporting goods stores.
FreeMitya
I posed this question in a thread in the GD forum because I had not yet seen this thread and, wretched creature that I am, I neglected the search tool. Anyway, regarding beginner telescopes, I thought some of you might be able to provide some insight. I read that a good beginner range is a 60-80 mm refracting telescope. How far and how clearly would an 80 mm be able to see? For example, how clearly would I be able to see Saturn (assuming good atmospheric conditions) with an 80 mm? Would I be able to see Titan as well? I define the word "novice" when it comes to telescopes and any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

The smallest refractor you should get is a 70mm with a focal length greater than 700mm, IMO. The 60mm scopes available nowadays have truly horrible mounts and will really frustrate you. The 80mm scopes are a real step up in quality both in optics and the mount, so that is the one I would choose in the range you suggest. A decent 80 to 90mm achromatic refractor telescope (Celestron, Meade, Orion, Skywatcher, Explore Scientific, AstroMaster, etc...) will cost you from $150 to $500 depending on quality and the mount you choose. Those scopes will let you see Saturn fairly clearly but it (Saturn) will be small and you might not be able to make out some fine details. These scopes come with low cost diagonals and eyepieces which can affect the quality of the image you see.

For nearly the same money (~$300), you could get a much higher quality 6" dob that would give you much better images, IMO.

chemisttree said:
The smallest refractor you should get is a 70mm with a focal length greater than 700mm, IMO. The 60mm scopes available nowadays have truly horrible mounts and will really frustrate you. The 80mm scopes are a real step up in quality both in optics and the mount, so that is the one I would choose in the range you suggest. A decent 80 to 90mm achromatic refractor telescope (Celestron, Meade, Orion, Skywatcher, Explore Scientific, AstroMaster, etc...) will cost you from $150 to $500 depending on quality and the mount you choose. Those scopes will let you see Saturn fairly clearly but it (Saturn) will be small and you might not be able to make out some fine details. These scopes come with low cost diagonals and eyepieces which can affect the quality of the image you see.

For nearly the same money (~$300), you could get a much higher quality 6" dob that would give you much better images, IMO.

Thanks! I think you started typing your answer before I temporarily took my question down to search the thread. I got my answer, but I re-posted my question anyway to avoid confusion. My sights are currently set on the Orion XT8. There is a payment plan available for $120/month that seems like a really good deal.

Again, thanks for for your help.

FreeMitya said:
I've reconsidered and I think I'm going to go with binoculars to start my amateur astronomy journey. How do these look?

http://www.telescope.com/Binoculars...tronomy-Binoculars/pc/-1/c/5/sc/72/p/9327.uts

Those are good, but you're going to need a tripod to hold them, as 15x magnification is practically impossible to hold steady with just your hands. Binoculars are good for starters, as they generally have a wide field of view and don't require collimation or adjustments.

Drakkith said:
Those are good, but you're going to need a tripod to hold them, as 15x magnification is practically impossible to hold steady with just your hands. Binoculars are good for starters, as they generally have a wide field of view and don't require collimation or adjustments.

The tripod shouldn't be a problem.

1. What is a 60-80 mm refracting telescope?

A 60-80 mm refracting telescope is a type of telescope that uses lenses to gather and focus light, allowing for magnified views of distant objects. The numbers refer to the diameter of the telescope's objective lens in millimeters, with a larger diameter typically resulting in better image quality.

2. Is a 60-80 mm refracting telescope good for beginners?

Yes, a 60-80 mm refracting telescope is a great option for beginners as it is relatively easy to use and maintain. It also provides a good balance between portability and image quality, making it a versatile choice for a variety of observing purposes.

3. What can I see with a 60-80 mm refracting telescope?

With a 60-80 mm refracting telescope, you can see a variety of celestial objects including the Moon, planets, star clusters, and bright nebulae. You may also be able to see some galaxies and fainter objects with good viewing conditions and proper eyepieces.

4. How do I set up and use a 60-80 mm refracting telescope?

To set up your 60-80 mm refracting telescope, first find a stable and level surface. Then, attach the tripod legs and mount the telescope on top. Next, align the finderscope and insert an eyepiece. You can then begin observing by adjusting the focus and tracking objects with the telescope's mount.

5. What accessories do I need for a 60-80 mm refracting telescope?

Some helpful accessories for a 60-80 mm refracting telescope include additional eyepieces for different magnification levels, a Barlow lens for increased magnification, and a moon filter to reduce glare when observing the Moon. A star map or astronomy app can also be useful for locating objects in the night sky.