Why we have to tap the frame during Deflection of Beam Experiment?

In summary: I had no idea what friction was and it was very helpful.In summary, the lecturer tapped the frame of the beam to make sure it was still in equilibrium after every measurement.
socrates_1
hi, last week we did an experiment to find the deflection of simply supported beams.
During the experiment, after every measurement we had to tap the frame slightly. Does anyone know why we had to do this?
If you could explain it to me I would be grateful.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physice Forums

Firstly some protocol. You have posted duplicate threads. This is frowned upon, to put it mildly.

As to your question, did you not ask the lecturer at the time?.

If I were she I would have suggested you consider what force or forces might be acting that are not included in the general beam formulae you were testing.

Thank you for your response.
I can't find out what forces u mean. Could you explain it further?

Since you were measuring deflections, something probably moved between each measurement. What sort of force tends to prevent things from moving, in any real-world situation?

AlephZero said:
Since you were measuring deflections, something probably moved between each measurement. What sort of force tends to prevent things from moving, in any real-world situation?

Friction?

Last edited:
To set up the experiment you would of got some sort of beam and Clamped one end or both. The key word in there starts with a C.

Could someone else explain??I can't find out

Last edited:
I just gave you the answer without actually telling you. Straight just telling you the answer is frowned upon here.

anyone who could actually tell me?

socrates_1

Friction?

Many engineers call it "stiction". It is the same reason that we tap any mechanical indicating device that relies on mechanical movement to indicate a value, such as a meter movement a dial gauge, a barometer etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiction

Studiot said:
Many engineers call it "stiction". It is the same reason that we tap any mechanical indicating device that relies on mechanical movement to indicate a value, such as a meter movement a dial gauge, a barometer etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiction

really thank you

1. Why is tapping the frame necessary during a Deflection of Beam Experiment?

Tapping the frame helps to remove any air bubbles or other debris that may be trapped between the beam and the support. This ensures that the beam is in proper contact with the support, resulting in more accurate deflection measurements.

2. How does tapping the frame affect the results of the experiment?

Tapping the frame helps to eliminate any sources of error that may affect the deflection readings. It ensures that the beam is not hindered by any external factors, resulting in more reliable and accurate results.

3. Can't I just rely on the deflection readings without tapping the frame?

While it is possible to obtain deflection readings without tapping the frame, it is not recommended. Tapping the frame is a crucial step in the experiment that can significantly improve the accuracy and reliability of the results.

4. How hard should I tap the frame during the experiment?

It is important to tap the frame with enough force to remove any air bubbles or debris, but not so hard that it affects the beam's position. A gentle tapping motion should be sufficient.

5. Can I use a different method instead of tapping the frame for the experiment?

Tapping the frame is a commonly used method in Deflection of Beam Experiments and has proven to be effective in improving the accuracy of results. While there may be alternative methods, it is recommended to follow the established procedure for best results.