Radiation vector for a short dipole near a perfect magnetic conductor

by Bromio
Tags: dipole, radiation
Share this thread:
Bromio
Nov13-12, 06:03 AM
P: 61
Hi there.

If I wanted to calculate the radiation vector (in z > 0) produced by a short dipole with uniform current Io (+z direction) on a infinite perfect electric conductor (plane z=0), I'd have to apply the images method. So I'd have to calculate the radiation vector produced by two short dipoles, one in z > 0 and one in z < 0, with currents Io.

However, if we change the perfect electric conductor by a perfect magnetic conductor, how can I apply the images method?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test
Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA
berkeman
Nov13-12, 12:12 PM
Mentor
P: 41,303
Quote Quote by Bromio View Post
Hi there.

If I wanted to calculate the radiation vector (in z > 0) produced by a short dipole with uniform current Io (+z direction) on a infinite perfect electric conductor (plane z=0), I'd have to apply the images method. So I'd have to calculate the radiation vector produced by two short dipoles, one in z > 0 and one in z < 0, with currents Io.

However, if we change the perfect electric conductor by a perfect magnetic conductor, how can I apply the images method?

Thank you.
What's a perfect magnetic conductor?
Bromio
Nov13-12, 02:50 PM
It's an idealization.

PEC (Perfect Electric Conductor): [itex]\hat{n}\times\vec{E}=0 [/itex] and [itex]\hat{n}\times\vec{H}=\vec{J}_s[/itex].

PMC (Perfect Magnetic Conductor): [itex]\hat{n}\times\vec{E}=-\vec{M}_s [/itex] and [itex]\hat{n}\times\vec{H}=0[/itex].

Thank you.

Enthalpy
Nov14-12, 04:48 PM
P: 661
Radiation vector for a short dipole near a perfect magnetic conductor

At very low frequency, mumetal of permalloy are good magnetic conductors.

It would change the sign of the current in the image. Opposite current achieve zero magnetic field at the magnetic conductor, while same currents achieve zero electric field.
Bromio
Nov20-12, 05:06 AM
Hi.

I understand what you say, but, in that case, radiation vector is 0 (because currents are opposite), isn't it?

Thank you.

Register to reply