Parameter μ dimensional regularization qed

In summary, the parameter μ is an arbitrary dimension that appears in the Lagrangian density of interaction and affects the dimensions of the physical fields.
paolorossi
in the dimensional regularization of the QED we introduct an arbitrary parameter μ with the dimension of a mass... so there are finite terms that are function of μ... so they are arbitrary? how we can fix this parameter? what is the physical meaning of μ?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are absorbed into the renormalized coupling constants and field renormalization.

a book to view this?

Do you mean for photon mass which is definitely taken zero at the end of calculation because the integrals are divergent without it and photon should not have any mass.

Do you mean for photon mass which is definitely taken zero at the end of calculation because the integrals are divergent without it and photon should not have any mass.

I speak about the parameter μ that we introduct in the extension of the 4 dimensional minkowsky space to a D dimensional space. This parameter is such that the Lagrangian density of interaction has the correct physical dimension MD in D dimensions.

But when we return to 4 dimension some terms depend on μ. xepma say that
They are absorbed into the renormalized coupling constants and field renormalization.
, but how I can see that? can somebody suggest a book or paper?

(sorry for my english)

I speak about the parameter μ that we introduct in the extension of the 4 dimensional minkowsky space to a D dimensional space. This parameter is such that the Lagrangian density of interaction has the correct physical dimension MD in D dimensions.
So what exactly is μ.

So what exactly is μ.
Is it a question?
μ is the arbitrary parameter, with mass dimension, which appears in the Lagrangian density of interaction in D dimesion

LI = e μ 2-D/2 [itex]\bar{\psi}[/itex][itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex] A[itex]\mu[/itex]

so that LI has the correct dimension MD (note that the fields have the dimension [ A[itex]\mu[/itex] ] = MD/2-1/2 , [ [itex]\psi[/itex] ] = MD/2-1 ).
My question is: if the counter-terms are such that only the divergent terms are "eliminated" in the corrections to higher orders (propagators and vertex) , then there are finite terms that are function of μ. But μ is arbitrary. So how do you solve this? maybe there is a way to fix μ?

it is clear that when D=4(as is the case) ,μ does not play any roll after all.But only a tool to handle regularization in arbitrary dimension.(I thought it to be some photon mass type thing which is taken zero at end)

andrien said:
it is clear that when D=4(as is the case) ,μ does not play any roll after all.But only a tool to handle regularization in arbitrary dimension.(I thought it to be some photon mass type thing which is taken zero at end)

yes, what you say is correct, in fact, the bare interaction Lagrangian density will not have to depend on the parameter μ (in the limit D=4) ... so if we express the lagrangian in terms of physical quantity (renormalizated charge, mass , ... ) then these physical parameters must transform adequately under a change of the parameter μ, so that the theory (ie the amplitudes calculated) are independent from the choice of μ. that is, if we make the transformation

μ -> μ'

then, for example, the charge change as

e(μ) -> e(μ')=e'

so that, for example, the vertex (plus radiative corrections) remains unchanged. I saw that the set of this transformation forms the so-called " renormalization group" (RG). thanks anyway for answer!

1. What is dimensional regularization in quantum electrodynamics (QED)?

Dimensional regularization is a mathematical technique used in QED to handle divergent integrals that arise in perturbation theory. It involves analytically continuing the number of spacetime dimensions from four to a complex number, allowing for the calculation of finite results.

2. How does dimensional regularization differ from other regularization methods?

Unlike other regularization methods, dimensional regularization does not involve introducing an arbitrary cutoff scale or physical regulator. Instead, it uses the properties of analytic functions to regulate the divergent integrals.

3. What is the role of the parameter μ in dimensional regularization?

The parameter μ is used in dimensional regularization as a scale parameter to control the dimensional continuation. It is often referred to as the renormalization scale and can be adjusted to obtain different physical predictions.

4. What are the advantages of using dimensional regularization in QED?

Dimensional regularization has many advantages, including its ability to preserve gauge invariance and unitarity, as well as its simplicity in application. It also allows for the calculation of higher-order corrections without introducing new parameters.

5. Are there any limitations to dimensional regularization in QED?

While dimensional regularization is a powerful tool in QED, it does have some limitations. It may not work for all types of divergences, and it can lead to complex results that require additional mathematical techniques to handle. Additionally, it does not provide any physical insight into the underlying processes causing the divergences.