Internships in statistics/biostatistics for graduate students

by spazemonokee
Tags: biostatistics, internships, reu, statistcs, summer
spazemonokee
Nov13-12, 07:28 PM
P: 1
I would like to strengthen my resume/CV, so I am searching for summer internships for graduate students in applied math/statistics/biostatics (preferably the latter two). Another option that I'm considering is participating in an REU as a graduate teaching assistant.
The internships that I have found so far are: Mayo clinic (biostatistics) and the Census Bureau (statistics). I have also found a list of REU's on the NSF website. None of them really post any openings for graduate student assistants.

A little bit about myself. I'm a graduate student in applied mathematics and statistics (my program is interdisciplinary). By next summer, I will have three years of graduate coursework in math and statistics. I will start doing research in biostatistics next school year. As an undergraduate I majored in math and I did an summer REU in coding theory. I have taken a range of courses including numerical analysis, ode/pde, analysis, regression, categorical data, algebra, probability, statistical inference, longitudinal data, linear algebra, model selection. I am familiar with SAS and R. I'm also bilingual (English and Spanish).

Any comments or suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
StatGuy2000
Nov14-12, 08:55 PM
P: 514
Since you are a graduate student in statistics, you might want to take a look at the following link from the American Statistical Association (ASA) website:

http://www.amstat.org/education/internships.cfm

The links present a mixture of undergraduate (REU), masters and PhD level internship forr statistics and biostatistics opportunities in a wide range of companies and organizations, e.g. in pharmaceutical and biotech companies and teaching hospitals (for biostatistics students).

Register to reply