Aproximating a morse potential using a taylor polynomial

by physicsman314
Tags: energy, force constant, morse potential, potential energy, taylor polynomials
physicsman314
Nov13-12, 11:05 PM
P: 2
I am not going to post my question because I want to find out how to actually use the taylor polynomial and morse potential and then apply that to my problem. Say I have to approximate the morse potential using a taylor series expanding about some value. This will then find me the force constant. How would I go about setting up such equations?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Jorriss
Nov13-12, 11:09 PM
P: 1,025
Quote Quote by physicsman314 View Post
I am not going to post my question because I want to find out how to actually use the taylor polynomial and morse potential and then apply that to my problem. Say I have to approximate the morse potential using a taylor series expanding about some value. This will then find me the force constant. How would I go about setting up such equations?
Do you know how to taylor expand exponentials?
physicsman314
Nov13-12, 11:18 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by Jorriss View Post
Do you know how to taylor expand exponentials?
yeah, i know the formula
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)/2! (x-a)^2 and so on
I'm not sure how to do this on a morse potential. Seems like there are a lot of variables and I'm not sure from my given data, what goes where.

Jorriss
Nov14-12, 10:10 PM
P: 1,025

Aproximating a morse potential using a taylor polynomial

Quote Quote by physicsman314 View Post
yeah, i know the formula
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)/2! (x-a)^2 and so on
I'm not sure how to do this on a morse potential. Seems like there are a lot of variables and I'm not sure from my given data, what goes where.
There are not more variables exactly, there are more parameters but the only independent variable is r. So try expanding in terms of r and treat everything else as a constant.

Register to reply