Understanding Hydrogen Bonding in Ethanol Molecules

In summary, Ethanol molecules can form hydrogen bonds through the oxygen atom's two lone pairs and the hydrogen atom's ability to donate a hydrogen bond. This results in each molecule being able to form two hydrogen bonds on average. This is different from hydrogen fluoride, where each molecule can only form one hydrogen bond due to the equal polarizations of the atoms involved.
Psychae
Hey,

How do you know how many hydrogen bonds ethanol molecules will form with each other? I know there are 3 sites where H bonds could form (2 lone pairs on oxygen and the hydrogen) but with something like hydrogen fluoride, each molecule only forms 1 H bond on average so shouldn't something similar happen with ethanol since each has only one hydrogen bond to 'donate'?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Check the definition of Hydrogen Bonding at wikipedia. H-Bonding is a special, stronger case of dipole-dipole attraction. The bond is slightly polarized, which may be seen as an electric dipole of some small "charge".

In HF, F has slight negative "charge" and H has an equivalent positive "charge", so F only forms one H-Bond.

But in Ethanol, O has more negative charge than H has positive charge (Ethyl group has +I effect) so overall, O-atom can enough polarization to form two H-Bond.

Thanks for replying :) I've just read Wikipedia's entry but I think I must still be missing something :/

I understand the +I effect and how the O-atom can form two H-bonds, but the H-atom also forms a H-bond with an O lone pair on another ethanol doesn't it? So does that mean each molecule forms 3 H-bonds then? :S

You may check this figure. It says something else.
800px-Ethanol-xtal-1976-3D-balls.png

Yeah I mean I know that my idea of how it might bond is wrong but I'm just not sure of exactly what makes it different :confused:

So in your picture, for one molecule of ethanol (on average): one lone pair on the O-atom 'accepts' a H-bond from another molecule, and one of it's H-atoms 'donates' a H-bond to another molecule's lone pair, giving 2 H-bonds per molecule?

I just want to check that's right first :)

1. What is a hydrogen bond and how does it form in ethanol?

A hydrogen bond is a weak attraction between a hydrogen atom bonded to an electronegative atom (such as oxygen or nitrogen) and another electronegative atom. In ethanol, the hydrogen atoms bonded to oxygen can form hydrogen bonds with other oxygen atoms in neighboring ethanol molecules.

2. Why is hydrogen bonding important in ethanol?

Hydrogen bonding in ethanol is important because it affects the physical and chemical properties of ethanol. For example, hydrogen bonding contributes to the high boiling point of ethanol and its ability to dissolve polar substances.

3. How does hydrogen bonding affect the structure of liquid ethanol?

Hydrogen bonding in liquid ethanol causes the molecules to arrange themselves in a specific way, with hydrogen atoms from one molecule attracted to oxygen atoms from adjacent molecules. This results in a more ordered and compact structure compared to other liquids, which contributes to the high boiling point of ethanol.

4. Can hydrogen bonding occur in other alcohols besides ethanol?

Yes, hydrogen bonding can occur in other alcohols such as methanol, propanol, and butanol. Any alcohol with a hydroxyl (-OH) group can participate in hydrogen bonding.

5. How does temperature affect hydrogen bonding in ethanol?

As temperature increases, the energy of the molecules also increases, making it easier for them to overcome the hydrogen bonds and move around more freely. This is why ethanol has a lower boiling point compared to other alcohols with longer carbon chains, as the longer chains have more surface area for hydrogen bonding to occur and require more energy to break the bonds between molecules.