Torque Question: Direction vs Gears

• Thread starter snar123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, torque is a measure of rotational force that affects the movement of a vehicle. The gear ratio, which determines how much torque is transmitted to the wheels, can also be changed to increase torque. However, changing gears does not affect the direction of torque, which determines the direction of movement of the vehicle. Steering and turning are possible by applying different directions of torque to the wheels on each side of the vehicle.
snar123
Here is my homework question and answer. I am not sure why the answer shows that the direction of torque is opposite of the gears.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/snar123/2012-11-14_16-09-38_131.jpg [Broken]
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/snar123/2012-11-14_16-10-31_292.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ups thank!

1. What is torque and how does it affect the movement of a vehicle?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of vehicles, it is the force that is generated by the engine and transmitted to the wheels to produce movement. The higher the torque, the more force is available to move the vehicle.

2. How does the gear ratio affect torque?

The gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on the gears that are meshed together. In a vehicle, the gear ratio determines how much torque is transmitted to the wheels. A higher gear ratio means that more torque is transmitted, resulting in more power and acceleration.

3. Does changing gears affect the direction of torque?

No, changing gears does not affect the direction of torque. Torque always acts in the direction of rotation, regardless of which gear is being used. However, changing gears can affect the amount of torque being transmitted to the wheels, as explained by the gear ratio.

4. Can torque be increased by changing gears?

Yes, torque can be increased by changing gears. As mentioned earlier, a higher gear ratio means more torque is transmitted to the wheels, resulting in increased power and acceleration. This is why vehicles have different gears for different driving conditions - to optimize torque depending on the situation.

5. How does the direction of torque affect the movement of a vehicle?

The direction of torque determines the direction of the rotational force being applied to the wheels. When the direction of torque is changed, the direction of movement of the vehicle also changes. This is why steering and turning are possible - by applying a different direction of torque to the wheels on each side of the vehicle.