Some job interview advice

by StatGuy2000
Tags: advice, interview
StatGuy2000
Nov14-12, 11:48 AM
P: 510
Hi everyone. I am currently employed as a statistician in the health care sector, but am always open to new opportunities. As it turns out, through a connection from LinkedIn, I am scheduled for a job interview this Friday for a statistician/analytics consultant role for a major management consulting company, specializing in health care consulting.

I was informed that part of the interview process involves the case studies interview. This type of interview is new to me (but was informed that case studies are common for consulting firms), and I was wondering if any of you here on PhysicsForums have any tips or advice on getting prepared for such an interview.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Locrian
Nov14-12, 12:10 PM
P: 1,696
Health care consulting - is this Canada or US that you'll be consulting for? I didn't think there was much HC consulting work in Canada, but I also thought that was where you were located. I'm thinking I'm wrong about one. . . or both!
Mute
Nov14-12, 12:42 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
The Harvard Business Review (HBR) magazine usually has examples of case studies. A friend of mine once printed out a number of these case studies to prepare for a few interviews. If you can get a hold of some from a nearby library, you might look over some of them. You might also try to find a magazine with case studies more specific to the health care or consulting fields, but the HBR case studies may still be helpful.

Here's the HBR case-study website: http://hbsp.harvard.edu/list/hbr-case-study (Unfortunately, you have to pay for access to the articles, so hopefully a nearby library carries them).

Also look at various consulting company websites. I think McKinsey's website may have some sample case study problems.

StatGuy2000
Nov14-12, 01:37 PM

Some job interview advice

Quote Quote by Locrian View Post
Health care consulting - is this Canada or US that you'll be consulting for? I didn't think there was much HC consulting work in Canada, but I also thought that was where you were located. I'm thinking I'm wrong about one. . . or both!
You are correct in that I am located in Canada (Toronto, to be more specific). As far as health care consulting is concerned -- the field is more developed in the US than in Canada, but from what I understand there is a growing demand from governments and hospitals for health-care consulting here as well. In addition, there are a number of firms either based in Canada or have offices in the country (including where I will be interviewing) which offer consulting services to clientele in the US.
StatGuy2000
Nov14-12, 01:38 PM
Quote Quote by Mute View Post
The Harvard Business Review (HBR) magazine usually has examples of case studies. A friend of mine once printed out a number of these case studies to prepare for a few interviews. If you can get a hold of some from a nearby library, you might look over some of them. You might also try to find a magazine with case studies more specific to the health care or consulting fields, but the HBR case studies may still be helpful.

Here's the HBR case-study website: http://hbsp.harvard.edu/list/hbr-case-study (Unfortunately, you have to pay for access to the articles, so hopefully a nearby library carries them).

Also look at various consulting company websites. I think McKinsey's website may have some sample case study problems.
Hi there. I just had a quick glance at the McKinsey website for some sample case study problems. Thanks for your input!
Locrian
Nov14-12, 03:07 PM
P: 1,696
Might score some points if you’re familiar with Affordable Care Act (the most used name for two pieces of legislation) passed in 2009 in the US. It has created tremendous demand for healthcare consulting because it changes the mechanics of the system. Lots of employers trying to figure out what the potential impacts are and what changes they should make to weather the significant upheavals to take place in January of 2014.
StatGuy2000
Nov14-12, 04:16 PM
Quote Quote by Locrian View Post
Might score some points if you’re familiar with Affordable Care Act (the most used name for two pieces of legislation) passed in 2009 in the US. It has created tremendous demand for healthcare consulting because it changes the mechanics of the system. Lots of employers trying to figure out what the potential impacts are and what changes they should make to weather the significant upheavals to take place in January of 2014.
Thanks Locrian for that tip.

For what it's worth, I am familiar with the broad outlines of the Affordable Care Act (colloquially referred to by both supporters and opponents as "Obamacare"), largely due to being a regular viewer of the PBS Newshour (where the legislation has been discussed at length on several of its programs) as well as a regular reader of the Economist (which has covered the Act in some detail in its earlier publications).

Register to reply