P: 132
ok but the computer idea won't work?
rcgldr
Nov11-12, 12:52 AM
HW Helper
P: 7,049
Quote Quote by slee95 View Post
ok but the computer idea won't work?
You'd need to remove the hard drive from the lap top and connect it to the working computer, if that is possible.
slee95
Nov11-12, 09:09 AM
really?
rcgldr
Nov11-12, 09:37 AM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by rcgldr View Post
You'd need to remove the hard drive from the lap top and connect it to the working computer, if that is possible.
really?
Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do. You want to backup the files from the hard drive inside your laptop, but you laptop won't boot because bootmgr is compressed. If your laptop won't boot, then how are you planning to access those files?

Did you try using Windows 7 recovery and using bootrec.exe to fix bootmgr yet?
slee95
Nov11-12, 05:51 PM
i need to get my friends disk but was wondering if you could copy bootmgr from a working computer to m computer?
slee95
Nov11-12, 06:01 PM
m is a typo i meant my
rcgldr
Nov11-12, 06:13 PM
HW Helper
i need to get my friends disk but was wondering if you could copy bootmgr from a working computer to my computer?
There's stll the issue that you can't boot from the hard drive on your lap top. So you'll need to bood from the cd. If you boot from the cd, why not use Windows 7 recovery (bootrec.exe /fixboot) to fix bootmgr.

At the minimum, you would need to boot from the cd with some type of operating system, and use a USB flash drive or similar device to transfer files.
slee95
Nov12-12, 03:23 PM
I'll get my friend to bring his cd and external thanks for the help :)
r4z0r84
Nov12-12, 07:22 PM
P: 92
you may also use Ubuntu in trial mode/live cd using this is basically a secondary OS for viewing all your files for backup before reinstalling windows on your laptop, all this requires is either the USB install (installs from usb drive or runs from usb drive) or a CD version of the software, all the information and downloads are available for free from the unbuntu website, this is what i use for hard drives that get the error "drive is not formatted would you like to format it now?" error, this allows me to backup the clients data without actually changing a single thing, also helps if you cant boot your computer as the hard drive windows is installed on is the one with the issue.

/Fixboot used to work great in windows xp when you got mtdlr is missing or something along those lines error, i have yet to fix this issue with windows 7, but booting up with windows 7 cd doing a recovery of sorts should fix the issue, windows 7 by default tries to start this after a power failure or hard drive error, but due to windows being installed on the problematic hard drive it sometimes fails due to corrupted data, anyway best of luck, personally if i understand the issue your having, i would try the windows 7 disc first as it sounds like you should have everything you need (might not have the windows 7 disc due to it being a laptop) if not i would definitly go for the ubuntu work around, it should allow you to recover all your files and folders without needing to install another operating system and without damaging your sensative data.
r4z0r84
Nov12-12, 07:26 PM
insert your OS CD
go to DOS window and type in your OS drive (usualy C:\)
type in bootrec /FixMbr
then type in bootrec /fixboot
then type in bootrec /rebuildbcd
then type in exit
restart your computer

this apparently worked for someone else with the same issue. good luck
slee95
Nov13-12, 04:08 PM
Ok thank you :)
rcgldr
Nov13-12, 04:53 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by r4z0r84 View Post
/Fixboot used to work great in windows xp when you got mtdlr is missing or something along those lines error.
It's ntldr, used by Windows NT -> Windows XP. Windows Vista and Windows 7 use bootmgr. I assume Windows 8 also uses bootmgr.

bootrec /fixmbr - this rewrites the boot code portion of the first sector of a hard drive, which is sometimes called the partition sector, since it contains partition information also (primary and extended partitions, but not logical drives within extended partitions. Logical drive info is stored in extended partitions).

bootrec /fixboot - this rewrites the first few sectors (9 sectors used for windows 7) of a bootable partition, which contains the boot code to load in bootmgr. It should also rewrite bootmgr.

bootrec /rebuildbcd - this rebuilds \boot\bcd on a bootable partition.

You probably just need to run bootrec /fixboot to fix bootmgr.
slee95
Nov14-12, 05:27 PM
Ok thanks i'll try the disk when my friend brings in his external.
r4z0r84
Nov14-12, 06:21 PM
on a seperate issue, you said your actual dvd drive does not work in the laptop, if it doesnt show up in bios its definitly a hardware issue or firmware, i have had issues in the past of a dvd drive not showing up in windows and usually its due to a recent software installation that gives you a virtual drive of some discription, like norton 360 live update, majority of usb internet dongles ect. there is a simple fix through regedit.exe to fix the registry errors, depending on the laptop and if it is still in the warranty period they should replace the drive, if not there should be firmware updates online, i know this doesnt actually help you at the current time due to not being able to load windows but for future reference.

the upper and lower filters that are in the registry that can cause your dvd/cd drive to magically disappear are here

Open regedit.exe (windows key + R) type regedit and push enter/ok

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

you really only need to look for the first 4D entry.

on the right you may see upper filters and lower filters, delete both and restart your computer.

upon restarting you will see your dvd drive has magically come back to your my computer.

This is a common issue and cause for dvd drives to go limbo
rcgldr
Nov14-12, 07:54 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by r4z0r84 View Post
on a seperate issue, you said your actual dvd drive does not work in the laptop.
It's not clear if there is a cd/dvd drive and it's broken, or if this lap top never had an internal cd/dvd drive.
r4z0r84
Nov14-12, 10:03 PM
i was going off the "cd driver" comment from the first page, im just assuming it does have a physical drive there and the driver/firmware/hardware is failing. unless it was a typo and there is no cd drive. so yes i agree it is unclear although those troubleshooting steps would help figure out exactly what is wrong with the drive if it is physically there.
slee95
Nov15-12, 06:11 PM
It never came with a eternal and it can't have one which sucks :(
slee95
Nov15-12, 06:12 PM
You two know your computer a lot better then i do.

Register to reply