Time to Equilibrium: Reactants vs Products

In summary, the conversation discusses the time required to reach equilibrium and whether it is the same for starting from reactants or products under the same conditions. The idea of switching the roles of reactants and products is also brought up, but it is unclear how to apply this concept. Additionally, the conversation mentions the use of a model to handle equilibrium reactions and suggests investigating the question independently rather than relying on existing results. The conversation ends with a comment about the technicality of the time required to reach equilibrium.
Miffymycat
Is the time taken to reach equilibrium the same whether starting from reactants or products, under the same conditions? I think intuitively it is but cannot find a reference or proof.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What happens if you switch the roles of the reactants and the products?

How do you mean?

I understood you to be talking about an equilibrium reaction ... when the products of a reaction themselves can react ... and, in turn, produce the initial reactants. You can start by mixing the products instead .. in which case they are the initial reactants and the roles have changed.

You should have some model for handling these sorts of reactions ... so have you tried applying the model both ways?
Put another way: I am trying to encourage you to investigate your question yourself instead of looking for some results obtained by someone else.

(But you could be thinking of something else.)

Thankyou for the clarification - I see what you meant.

I have thought at quite some length and a colleague of mine is equally at a loss. I am familiar withj the basics of integrated rate laws and the equilibrium law, but just cannot see how to apply this. I have found no reference to this question iun several standard texts, so, short of doing an experiment in the lab (which would only prove it for one case), I am lost! If you have an idea how to prove this, then by all means just give me some clues ... I am happy to wrestle with it once I have a direction to go in!

Many thanks

Technically time required to reach equilibrium is infinite.

@Borek: Depends on your model :)

@Miffymycat: how would you normally go about figuring the time to equilibrium?

1. What is meant by "time to equilibrium"?

The time to equilibrium refers to the amount of time it takes for a chemical reaction to reach a state of equilibrium, where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant.

2. How does the concentration of reactants and products affect the time to equilibrium?

The higher the concentration of reactants, the longer it will take for the reaction to reach equilibrium. This is because there are more molecules colliding and reacting with each other, slowing down the overall reaction rate. On the other hand, a higher concentration of products will speed up the reaction and reach equilibrium faster.

3. What factors can affect the time to equilibrium?

Factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst can affect the time to equilibrium. Higher temperatures and pressures will increase the reaction rate, while a catalyst will decrease the time to equilibrium by providing an alternative pathway for the reaction to occur.

4. Is there a mathematical formula for calculating the time to equilibrium?

Yes, the time to equilibrium can be calculated using the Arrhenius equation, which takes into account the activation energy and rate constant of the reaction. However, this equation only applies to reactions with a single step mechanism.

5. Can the time to equilibrium be altered or controlled?

Yes, the time to equilibrium can be altered or controlled by changing the reaction conditions such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst. Additionally, changing the initial concentrations of reactants and products can also affect the time to equilibrium.