Tags: random
Share this thread:
Astronuc
Nov12-12, 11:42 PM
Admin
P: 21,808
Beer after work at the bar: a U.S. tradition is getting stale
http://news.yahoo.com/beer-bar-u-tra...1--sector.html

Fortunately, for craft beers, this is not true.

. . .
According to the institute, beer drinkers last year in the United States drank 203.4 million barrels, about 5 percent less than in 2008.

. . .
HIGH-END HOPES

A glimmer of hope for the industry is the high-end craft beer segment, which has seen sales increase by 14 percent during the first half of 2012 compared with the same period last year, according to the Beer Institute.

These regional and local brews are more expensive and tend to be more recession-proof than mass-consumption brands like Miller Lite and Bud Light.

. . .
dlgoff
Nov13-12, 10:11 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,701
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
A glimmer of hope for the industry is the high-end craft beer segment, which has seen sales increase by 14 percent during the first half of 2012 compared with the same period last year, according to the Beer Institute.
1% increase is probably due to me.
Kholdstare
Nov14-12, 05:24 AM
P: 390
I've just finished up reading "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman.", a book which I wish I had not started reading. I remember someone said Feynman is all ham and no baloney. I disagree, He had his fair share of baloney. Apart from his physicist ideas he does not match well with me and I discovered I don't like him that much as I thought I did.

On different note: I find its amazing that he used to repair electronics stuffs and was connected with Bell Labs and General Electric.
OmCheeto
Nov14-12, 09:23 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
I've just finished up reading "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman.", a book which I wish I had not started reading. I remember someone said Feynman is all ham and no baloney. I disagree, He had his fair share of baloney. Apart from his physicist ideas he does not match well with me and I discovered I don't like him that much as I thought I did.

On different note: I find its amazing that he used to repair electronics stuffs and was connected with Bell Labs and General Electric.
Thank you for that note. I will be sure and never read the book.

Watching the video about him for the first time in 24 years, I'm reminded how incredibly modest and down to earth he was.

The Last Journey Of A Genius

------------------------------
And he collected stamps. Proof that he was a genius.
dkotschessaa
Nov14-12, 05:19 PM
P: 577
dkotschessaa
Nov14-12, 05:19 PM
Oh sorry, thought this was the random numbers thread.
Jimmy Snyder
Nov14-12, 05:43 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by My fortune cookie
Simplicity and clarity should be your theme in dress.
I've been going around naked ever since.
dlgoff
Nov14-12, 05:54 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,701
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
Watching the video about him for the first time in 24 years, I'm reminded how incredibly modest and down to earth he was.

The Last Journey Of A Genius
Can you imagine setting at a pub with him while drinking beer? That would have been a dream come true for me.
AnTiFreeze3
Nov14-12, 07:00 PM
P: 246
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
I've been going around naked ever since.
From what I understand, Benjamin Franklin was actually an advocate for walking around in the nude. Kudos to you for carrying on his legacy.
collinsmark
Nov14-12, 07:10 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,918
I've always liked Benjamin Franklin.
drizzle
Nov14-12, 08:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
I just missed a call from a 'private number'.. *wonders what that is*
turbo
Nov14-12, 09:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Gad View Post
I just missed a call from a 'private number'.. *wonders what that is*
I get them several times a week, at a minimum. They are generally robo-calls advocating for or against political candidates or causes. If I pick up the phone and say "hello" and there is no live person on the line, I hang up.

I've been thinking of going all-cell for that reason. Unfortunately, I have Dish satellite TV that requires a land-line connection, and (albeit crappy) ADSL and can't ditch the land-line without a lot of trouble and expense.
drizzle
Nov14-12, 09:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
I see, so better just ignore it. Thanks anyway, turbo.
turbo
Nov14-12, 09:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Yep. When they are blocking their telephone number from your caller-ID, they generally mean you no good.
trueo
Nov14-12, 10:05 PM
P: 18
The bank calls me every month for my loan payment, that is noisy and I never like it.
dkotschessaa
Nov15-12, 07:22 AM
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Beer after work at the bar: a U.S. tradition is getting stale
http://news.yahoo.com/beer-bar-u-tra...1--sector.html

Of course one possible interpretation of that is that there's a certain percentage of our population that isn't suffering much from a poor economy.

And now a Random thought:
Debating whether to see Jeff Corwin tonight (a discovery channel animal guy, apparently) at my University tonight.

I got invited to a reception beforehand, for some reason too...
Jimmy Snyder
Nov15-12, 04:51 PM
P: 2,179
Today I was lithotropized. That's where the doctor shouts really really loud at your kidney at such a high pitch that even dogs can't hear it. This breaks up the stones in there. The weird part is that I didn't really wake up from the anesthesia until I got home. My wife says that I was offered a choice of apple juice or ginger ale and that I said I prefered apple juice. She helped me get dressed, they wheeled me to the car in a wheelchair and she drove me home. I don't remember any of that. I remember waking up in the car at home and going upstairs to sleep. I only found out about the rest of it when my wife told me about it just now.
dkotschessaa
Nov15-12, 05:07 PM
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Today I was lithotropized. That's where the doctor shouts really really loud at your kidney at such a high pitch that even dogs can't hear it. This breaks up the stones in there. The weird part is that I didn't really wake up from the anesthesia until I got home. My wife says that I was offered a choice of apple juice or ginger ale and that I said I prefered apple juice. She helped me get dressed, they wheeled me to the car in a wheelchair and she drove me home. I don't remember any of that. I remember waking up in the car at home and going upstairs to sleep. I only found out about the rest of it when my wife told me about it just now.
Glad the procedure went more or less well. Your anesthesia story mirrors what happened to my wife the other week when she had her wisdom teeth removed. We had to wheel her to the car. She tried to teach the assistant that was helping her how to do the salsa, while having a mouth full of bloody gauze. She doesn't remember that at all.

Anyway, I hope your kidney stones got the message.

Register to reply