Cardinality and Dimention

by rhobymic
Tags: cardinality, dimention
Share this thread:
rhobymic
Nov19-12, 05:55 PM
P: 5
This is not a homework question .....

If two vector spaces, say V and W, have equal cardinality |V|=|W| .... do they then have the same dimension? That is dim(V)=dim(W)?

I am struggling with making this call one way or the other. This is no area of expertise for me by any means so I know I am missing something important but here are my thoughts:

-> No it does not mean they have the same dim. Dimension is the value of the cardinality of the BASIS vectors of a vector space not the cardinality of the full vector space.

-> Yes it does because if |V|=|W| is true then there is a bijection between V and W and therefor an isomorphic linear transformation T between V and W. This would imply that T carries a basis from V into W and so V and W would have the same cardinality of basis vectors er go the same dimension....

I am still leaning towards "No" because I think the assumption that if V and W are bijective then there is an isomorphic linear transformation is probably not possible...

Thanks for any help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
micromass
Nov19-12, 07:20 PM
Mentor
P: 18,345
Quote Quote by rhobymic View Post
This is not a homework question .....

If two vector spaces, say V and W, have equal cardinality |V|=|W| .... do they then have the same dimension? That is dim(V)=dim(W)?

I am struggling with making this call one way or the other. This is no area of expertise for me by any means so I know I am missing something important but here are my thoughts:

-> No it does not mean they have the same dim. Dimension is the value of the cardinality of the BASIS vectors of a vector space not the cardinality of the full vector space.
This is a nice observation, but it is not a proof. To answer the question as "no", you just need to come up with two vector spaces that have equal cardinality but not equal basis.

-> Yes it does because if |V|=|W| is true then there is a bijection between V and W and therefor an isomorphic linear transformation T between V and W. This would imply that T carries a basis from V into W and so V and W would have the same cardinality of basis vectors er go the same dimension....
I don't really see why an arbitrary bijection would be an isomorphism...
Erland
Nov21-12, 07:41 PM
P: 353
Quote Quote by rhobymic View Post
Thanks for any help!
A bijection needs not be linear. In fact, Cantor proved that R and R2 have the same cardinality, and hence that all Rn (n>0) have the same cardinality. For a proof, see Theorem 2 here. (The proof is actually incomplete, since the author has forgotten the 0.99999.....=1 problem. But it can be fixed.)

Register to reply