Minimal normal subgroup of a finite group.

by moont14263
Tags: finite, minimal, normal, subgroup
moont14263
Nov20-12, 01:04 PM
P: 39
I have Theorem 1 from a research paper.

Theorem 1. Suppose that [itex]G[/itex] is a finite non-abelian simple group. Then there exists an odd prime [itex]q \in \pi(G)[/itex] such that [itex]G[/itex] has no [itex]\{2, q\}[/itex]-Hall subgroup.

I have Theorem 2 from a book.

Theorem 2. If [itex]H[/itex] is a minimal normal subgroup of [itex]G[/itex], then either [itex]H[/itex] is an elementary abelian [itex]p[/itex]-group for some prime [itex]p[/itex] or [itex]H[/itex] is the direct product of isomorphic nonabelian simple groups.

I like to know if the contradicition in this argument is true.

Let [itex]N[/itex] be a minimal normal subgroup of a finite group [itex]G[/itex] with [itex]2[/itex] divides the order of [itex]N[/itex] and [itex]N[/itex] is not a [itex]2[/itex]-group. Let [itex]P[/itex] be a Sylow [itex]2[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]N[/itex]. Suppose that for each prime [itex]q \neq 2[/itex] dividing the order of [itex]N[/itex], there exists a Sylow [itex]q[/itex]-subgroup [itex]Q[/itex] of [itex]N[/itex] such that [itex]PQ[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]N[/itex]. Cleary, [itex]N=T_{1}T_{2}...T_{r}[/itex] for some postive intger [itex]r[/itex], where each [itex]T_{i}[/itex] is a nonabelian simple group. Let [itex]T[/itex] be one of the [itex]T_{i}[/itex]. It is clear that if some prime divides the order of [itex]N[/itex] then this prime must divide the order of [itex]T[/itex] as [itex]|N|=|T|^{r}[/itex]. Since [itex]T[/itex] is normal in [itex]N[/itex], then [itex]T \cap PQ=(T \cap P)(T \cap P)[/itex] (I Know that this statement is true so do not bother checking it). So, [itex]T[/itex] is a finite nonableian simple group with Hall [itex]\{2,q\}[/itex]-subgroup for each odd prime dividing the order of [itex]T[/itex] which contradicts Theorem 1.

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes

Register to reply