Register to reply

Energy of the Universe

by NextFeynman
Tags: energy, universe
Share this thread:
NextFeynman
Nov20-12, 02:29 PM
P: 8
Seeing as energy is conserved throughout the universe, did all the energy of the universe begin at the same time as our universe?
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
NASA asteroid defense program falls short: audit
India's spacecraft 'on target' to reach Mars
Planets with oddball orbits like Mercury could host life
phinds
Nov20-12, 02:56 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,496
I THINK it works like this: conservation of energy, as far as is presently known, is a local phenomenon and may not hold across cosmological distances, so conservation of energy throughout even the observable universe is unknown, and certainly is unknown throughout the entire universe.
mathman
Nov20-12, 03:06 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,106
Ordinary matter, dark matter, and ordinary energy are conserved, although interchangeable. Dark energy is increasing with the expansion of the universe.

Note: this is my understanding - I could be wrong.

NextFeynman
Nov20-12, 03:33 PM
Energy of the Universe

So, would it be safe to assume that the universe is gaining energy as it expands or would it be impossible to tell
phinds
Nov20-12, 04:29 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by NextFeynman View Post
So, would it be safe to assume that the universe is gaining energy as it expands or would it be impossible to tell
Yes, so much so that I have heard one theory, I think posted here on this forum, that the universe moves towards a singularity of infinite energy density because of the exponential overall increase in dark energy. I have no idea how solid that theory is.
Drakkith
Nov20-12, 04:37 PM
Mentor
P: 12,003
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
Ordinary matter, dark matter, and ordinary energy are conserved, although interchangeable. Dark energy is increasing with the expansion of the universe.

Note: this is my understanding - I could be wrong.
I believe light loses energy over time due to redshift from expansion.
phinds
Nov20-12, 04:45 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I believe light loses energy over time due to redshift from expansion.
Yeah, it's been making me a little tired too.
Drakkith
Nov20-12, 05:08 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
Yeah, it's been making me a little tired too.
Have you been expanding recently Phinds?
phinds
Nov20-12, 06:04 PM
PF Gold
Have you been expanding recently Phinds?
Absolutely, and with Thanksgiving on a couple days away I fear further expansion.
Drakkith
Nov20-12, 06:43 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
Absolutely, and with Thanksgiving on a couple days away I fear further expansion.
Have some turkey for me, as I fear I will not have the opportunity to enjoy any.
phinds
Nov20-12, 08:04 PM
PF Gold
Have some turkey for me, as I fear I will not have the opportunity to enjoy any.
Why? I thought they served turkey to the inmates. You mean it's the same old prison food even on Thanksgiving?
NextFeynman
Nov20-12, 08:41 PM
Michio says that the strings of M-Theory vibrate throughout 11 dimensional hyperspace, he also says that the dimensions are curled up so tiny we cant see them, so when our universe first started, by whatever means, 3 of the ten spatial dimensions "popped" out while the other 7 stayed tucked away, and if the universe is getting larger through dark energy couldn't dark energy be the strings blowing up three dimensions of the ten that are tucked into them?
Chronos
Nov20-12, 08:57 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,488
Dont let him fool you, phinds, they hand out turkey 'nuggets' like candy in the joint over the holidays.
phinds
Nov20-12, 09:00 PM
PF Gold
Michio says that the strings of M-Theory vibrate throughout 11 dimensional hyperspace, he also says that the dimensions are curled up so tiny we cant see them, so when our universe first started, by whatever means, 3 of the ten spatial dimensions "popped" out while the other 7 stayed tucked away, and if the universe is getting larger through dark energy couldn't dark energy be the strings blowing up three dimensions of the ten that are tucked into them?
Interesting but fanciful speculation. Do you have any references to mainstream physics discussing that? If not, it is against forum rules (unsubstantiated personal speculation).

EDIT: I mean OTHER than TV personalities (Kaku USED to be a serious physicist but is now a popularizer of the worst sort)
Chronos
Nov20-12, 09:04 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Unfortunately, Dr. Kaku frequently speaks of M-theory as if it were Newtons theory of gravity - well accepted and revered by mainstream science. It is not. But, he does create this impression with lay people via this questionable tactic.
NextFeynman
Nov20-12, 09:27 PM
Sorry for the speculation, just wondering if It could be plausible.
phinds
Nov20-12, 09:32 PM
PF Gold
Sorry for the speculation, just wondering if It could be plausible.
As I said, it IS an interesting speculation but the mods are pretty strict, and I believe with excellent reason, about keeping this forum devoted to established science.
Chronos
Nov20-12, 11:04 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
The mods tend to be fairly even handed so long as we stay scientific.

Register to reply