Register to reply

If X is a left invariant vector field, then L_x o x_t = x_t o L_x

by demonelite123
Tags: field, invariant, vector
Share this thread:
demonelite123
Nov22-12, 05:46 PM
P: 219
If X is a left invariant vector field, then [itex] L_x \circ x_t = x_t \circ L_x [/itex], where xt is the flow of X and Lx is the left translation map of the lie group G.

In order to show this, I am trying to show that [itex] x_t = L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1} [/itex] by showing that [itex] L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1} [/itex] is the flow of [itex] dL_x \circ X \circ L_x^{-1} [/itex]. So i want to show that [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t} (L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1}) = dL_x \circ X \circ L_x^{-1}[/itex].

I am having some trouble with the chain rule and was wondering if someone could help me out. so far, i have [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1}) = d(L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}) = (dL_x \circ dx_t \circ dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}) [/itex] but i am not sure how to simplify this.

i know of 2 different ways to manipulate tangent vectors. i have tried [itex] (dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t})=(L_x^{-1} \circ \gamma)′ [/itex] where γ is the curve that goes through the vector [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex], but that doesn't seem to get me to where i want. i also tried using the fact that [itex] (dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t})f = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(f \circ L_x^{-1})[/itex] so [itex](dL_x \circ dx_t \circ dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}) = dL_x \circ X \circ (f \circ L_x^{-1}) [/itex]but now i have an f in there i can't get rid of.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100

Register to reply