Velocity Addition in Special Relativity

by rajark
Tags: addition, relativity, special, velocity
rajark
Nov23-12, 09:35 AM
P: 16
Hi All,

Pardon me if this question looks so silly.

Trying to understand velocity addition in special relativity.

Say velocity components as measured in stationary frame of reference S are u, v, w in x, y, Z directions respectively and those in moving frame S' are u', v', w' in x', y', z' directions respectively. Let the velocity of relative motion between the reference frames is V and the motion is along x(or x') direction. Then velocity addition equations are as follows

u = (u'+V)/(1+(u'V/c^2)) -----(i)

v = {v'[1-(v^2/c^2)]^(1/2)}/[1+(u'V/c^2)] -----(ii)

w = {w'[1-(v^2/c^2)]^(1/2)}/[1+(u'V/c^2)] -----(iii)

Now say if light is emitted in the moving frame S' in its direction of motion x' i.e u'=c, then an observer in S measure the speed as u=c according to the equation (i)

But how do I check using eqn (ii) that light emitted in y' direction in frame S' has speed c in frame S. I substitute u'=0 and v'=c in eqn (ii), but that leads to v=c[1-(v^2/c^2)]^(1/2)

Please help me in figuring out where I go wrong
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Doc Al
Nov23-12, 09:59 AM
Mentor
P: 40,905
Quote Quote by rajark View Post
But how do I check using eqn (ii) that light emitted in y' direction in frame S' has speed c in frame S. I substitute u'=0 and v'=c in eqn (ii), but that leads to v=c[1-(v^2/c^2)]^(1/2)
Don't forget equation (i): The light will have a component of velocity in the x direction.
rajark
Nov23-12, 11:18 AM
P: 16
Thanks for pointing out, Doc

Register to reply