Register to reply

Eigenfunctions of spin operator

by function22
Tags: eigenfunction, quantum mechanics, spin
Share this thread:
function22
Nov25-12, 10:34 AM
P: 4
What are the eigenfunctions of the spin operators? I know the spin operators are given by Pauli matricies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_o...lation_of_spin), and I know what the eigenvalues are (and the eigenvectors), but I have no idea what the eigenfunctions of the spin operator are. I searched google but I could not find a derivation. Does anyone know how to find the eigenfunctions of the spin operator?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Bill_K
Nov25-12, 11:19 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
Do you mean spin spherical harmonics? These are the functions that represent finite rotations in spin space, half-integer analogs to the Ylm's. They're briefly mentioned in Wikipedia, covered more in this article, and especially in books on angular momentum, like the monograph by Edmonds.
function22
Nov25-12, 11:40 AM
P: 4
Like the Pauli matricies Sx, Sy, Sz, I know the eigenvalues/eigenvectors, but what are the eigenfunctions? I have no idea what they could be.

dextercioby
Nov25-12, 12:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,951
Eigenfunctions of spin operator

The spin space is an abstract finite dimensional (essentially C^(2s+1)) vector space. There are no <wavefunctions>, just normal quadratic matrices and matrices with one column.
Bill_K
Nov25-12, 01:01 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
Like the Pauli matricies Sx, Sy, Sz, I know the eigenvalues/eigenvectors, but what are the eigenfunctions?
No, NOT like the Pauli matrices. The Pauli matrices are the generators. I'm referring to the matrix functions that represent finite rotations. They are functions in the sense that they are functions of the three Euler angles. And they are eigenfunctions of S and Sz.

Register to reply