Register to reply

Ok I slapped someone and I feel bad

by Yayfordoritos
Tags: feel, slapped
Share this thread:
Yayfordoritos
Nov23-12, 04:40 AM
P: 16
I went to an atheists meeting a year ago, and I brought my daughter she isn't an atheist she believes that there is something out there and there is something after you die, which I say ok you're a weirdo, but I love you. The only reason I brought her was cause I couldn't find a babysitter, and I was told it was ok. So my daughter was talking to a woman that I think might have ran the get together. I heard this woman tell my daughter that she was stupid for her beliefs, so I slapped her, the woman not my daughter. I'm not very big either. at the time I was about 5'0 110 lbs, this happened over a year ago, and now I'm 5'0 135 lbs, and all this is starting to effect me. I guess it was the wrong thing to do, but what would you do if someone called your kid stupid?

Now when I go and sign up for things I'm automatically banned. Which I think is unfair I'm an atheists but I'm also a mom.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Nstraw
Nov23-12, 05:00 AM
P: 27
I think it was a mistake to act so hasitly you should have talked to your daughter but now you shouldn't feel bad for what you have done but as you stated that you feel bad then try to apologize to that woman
trueo
Nov23-12, 05:01 AM
P: 18
Feel bad ? When your daughter grows up and have children, she'll understand you were right, slap her! Insulting is a sign of impolite_ness and disrespect. I never feel bad if I slap a boy's face for his disrespect to me or anyone I love.

Yayfordoritos
Nov23-12, 05:07 AM
Ok I slapped someone and I feel bad

I think some people look at my daughter and think cause she's pretty that she must be stupid, which is what I think that woman thought. Also I'm not just saying my daughter is pretty cause I'm her mom, she won a contest at her school for prettiest girl the past decade. She is really pretty, and it pisses me off that people use her looks to undermine her
Astronuc
Nov23-12, 05:09 AM
Admin
P: 21,827
Quote Quote by Yayfordoritos View Post
I went to an atheists meeting a year ago, and I brought my daughter she isn't an atheist she believes that there is something out there and there is something after you die, which I say ok you're a weirdo, but I love you. The only reason I brought her was cause I couldn't find a babysitter, and I was told it was ok. So my daughter was talking to a woman that I think might have ran the get together. I heard this woman tell my daughter that she was stupid for her beliefs, so I slapped her, the woman not my daughter. I'm not very big either. at the time I was about 5'0 110 lbs, this happened over a year ago, and now I'm 5'0 135 lbs, and all this is starting to effect me. I guess it was the wrong thing to do, but what would you do if someone called your kid stupid?

Now when I go and sign up for things I'm automatically banned. Which I think is unfair I'm an atheists but I'm also a mom.
It is generally not appropriate to slap (or resort to physical contact) someone for a verbal offense. It could result in criminal or civil charges.

One approach would have been to admonish the offender in front of one's child, and then have a separate discussion with one's daughter.

When one mentions one is banned, banned from what?
Nstraw
Nov23-12, 05:13 AM
P: 27
I think some people look at my daughter and think cause she's pretty that she must be stupid, which is what I think that woman thought. Also I'm not just saying my daughter is pretty cause I'm her mom, she won a contest at her school for prettiest girl the past decade. She is really pretty, and it pisses me off that people use her looks to undermine her
than don't give it much concern. The people who think so are just stupid so try to tell your daughter to talk people after observing and thinking carefully
micromass
Nov23-12, 06:34 AM
Mentor
P: 18,040

Slapping wasn't really the best thing to do, but I do understand it. If somebody is rude against the people I love, I might lash out as well and do things I'll regret later (strange thing is that I won't do that if somebody is rude to me personally). Don't worry too much about it, you obviously love your daughter very much and that's the important part.
Evo
Nov23-12, 11:10 AM
Mentor
P: 26,473
Astro is correct, at least here in the US, you could have been arrested for assault. A verbal insult is never cause for physical violence. You taught your daughter that it's ok to act violently and irrationally when confronted by simple rudeness.

You should have told the woman that your daughter wasn't stupid. And that as an adult, she should have used more sense.

I guess the most important question is, did you apologize to the woman in front of your daughter so that your daughter would understand the mistake you made? Did you have a talk with your daughter explaining that what you did was wrong and that she should never act upon her feelings in violent ways?
Yayfordoritos
Nov23-12, 02:42 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Astro is correct, at least here in the US, you could have been arrested for assault. A verbal insult is never cause for physical violence. You taught your daughter that it's ok to act violently and irrationally when confronted by simple rudeness.

You should have told the woman that your daughter wasn't stupid. And that as an adult, she should have used more sense.

I guess the most important question is, did you apologize to the woman in front of your daughter so that your daughter would understand the mistake you made? Did you have a talk with your daughter explaining that what you did was wrong and that she should never act upon her feelings in violent ways?

I didn't apologize and I would like to, but now I don't think I will be able to get in contact with that lady.
WannabeNewton
Nov23-12, 02:51 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,429
You're not at all ashamed or disappointed for allowing your girl to participate in such superficial nonsense? Anyways, you shouldn't have slapped that woman if it was in front of your daughter. What kind of example are you setting? A pretty bad one.
Yayfordoritos
Nov23-12, 03:00 PM
Quote Quote by Nstraw View Post
than don't give it much concern. The people who think so are just stupid so try to tell your daughter to talk people after observing and thinking carefully
I didn't pick her as prettiest, the staff at her school told me she was the prettiest girl they've seen win the prettiest girl contest in the past decade. It was the yearbook contest thing, where they pick most likely to succeed and best looking and all those stupid categories. I rolled my eyes when they told me that, me or her don't let her looks influence things.
Yayfordoritos
Nov23-12, 03:04 PM
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
You're not at all ashamed or disappointed for allowing your girl to participate in such superficial nonsense? Anyways, you shouldn't have slapped that woman if it was in front of your daughter. What kind of example are you setting? A pretty bad one.

That woman was really really rude to my daughter, and yes I acted inappropriately, but I was trying to protect my daughter. I would love for my kid to be an atheist, but she isn't one and I have to respect that about her. I didn't slap her in front of my daughter I slapped her later on when she told me what happened. I normally don't go around slapping people, but I let my anger take over.
Evo
Nov23-12, 08:46 PM
Mentor
P: 26,473
Can I ask what the purpose of an "aethist" meeting is? Do you gather just to discuss the fact that you don't believe in imaginary beings?
Yayfordoritos
Nov24-12, 12:39 AM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Can I ask what the purpose of an "aethist" meeting is? Do you gather just to discuss the fact that you don't believe in imaginary beings?
Pretty much, the whole thing is a little self righteous.
julcab12
Nov25-12, 08:46 AM
P: 150
I would love for my kid to be an atheist, but she isn't one and I have to respect that about her.

... As much as i don't want to question parenting. But i was wondering. What's the deal of being an "atheist" or an "eist" these days? I would love my kids away from all those irrelevant things.
Refutal against invalid doesn't end well. Meaningless and garbage (Apologies to atheist member here).... Entertaining thought. ^^
mathsciguy
Nov25-12, 10:34 AM
P: 132
An atheist meeting sounds pretty hippie actually, were there any purpose for that? Do people hold those like it's some hobbyists convention?
Lisa!
Nov25-12, 01:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 973
A person who calls other especially a little girl stupid only because their beliefs are different from each other doesn't sound a decent person to me, so I try to take a distance as far as possible from her/him.
Yayfordoritos
Nov25-12, 01:24 PM
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
The only reason she went with me was cause I didn't have a babysitter. Also you seem to be taking this really personal I didn't slap you.

Register to reply