Register to reply

Boyfriend is very homophobic. Can we make it work?

by Toph_fan
Tags: boyfriend, homophobic, work
Share this thread:
Woopydalan
Nov26-12, 01:01 AM
P: 746
He's not the only one for you.

There are thousands of other people..perhaps millions, that you could potentially get along with.

Your scope of the amount of people out there is very limited...more than you think.
xxChrisxx
Nov26-12, 07:17 AM
P: 2,048
Quote Quote by Rob D View Post
Sorry to get in so late in the discussion. I have read the entire thread and something came to mind early and stayed until the end. One word: Narcissist
I am not qualified to say more but I strongly suggest that you seek out a therapist trained in psychology and ask them whether your bf is narcissistic personality. I fear that he is.
Interesting I came to a similar conclusion, only about the OP. Who seems to be over complicating and obsessing about this, and is acutally the one with the problem.

Spot the inconsistency.
Help, my boyfriend is very homophobic but a great boyfriend.
He believes they deserve to be treated well just like any other human being and that "one should love the person but not what they do".
Disagreeing with someones lifestyle, is not homophobia. Especially when you yourself say he doesn't believe in discrimination.

This is a thing I've been noticing more and more lately, or something that 'atheists' do. They tend to be egotists, suffer from arrogance/intelectual snobbery and mock others for differing viewpoints whilst accusing others of intolerance.

The tendency to label and box oneself, then look down upon anyone who doesn't have the same label tattood on their forehead.I am an atheist, I believe x,y,z. My subjective position is right becuase I R RATIONAL!

I just feel like I could make him see the light if I could appeal to his reason a bit. Actually I think the biggest problem is that he's a bit closed minded.
Do you not see how condecending this is? "See the light?" Gordon Bennet. You also proceed to mock and use an insult for not enjoying the same things as you.

I just feel like if you don't like ANY literature then you must be missing something. I think that perhaps he lacks emotional intelligence.
Does this matter? Does it matter if he doesn't agree with you regarding the lifestyle of a gay person. Does it matter that he doesn't like literature? You also mock him for his poor grammar.

Now on saying all of that.
Can we make it work?
Judging by how much you defended him, and seem to genuinely care. Yes. All of the diffeences appear to be irrelevent. If anything is going to torpedo the relationship, it's your obsessing with how it could fail.
Rob D
Nov26-12, 11:11 AM
PF Gold
P: 28
To xxChrisxx: While I am Atheist and Anti-theist in the Hitchens sort of way, I hope that I conduct all aspects of my life with proper humility and empathy. Hence my concern that the young lady is confronted with a narcissist. However, your perhaps quite insightful observatiion that she is the personality problem at play in this situation may be spot on. I could argue that my suggestion to seek professional counsel is, then, ever the better one.

Toph fan: If I may be so bold, exactly why did you come to this group, a forum composed of perhaps the most pragmatic bunch on the internet, to discuss an interpersonal problem? We're more "Dear Dr. Susskind" than "Dear Dr. Phil".

Yes, I'm older than my wife. However, we recognized that to be a problem in our pre-nuptial discussions rather than an advantage.

Hitch Abides,
Rob
Toph_fan
Nov29-12, 11:29 AM
P: 14
Quote Quote by xxChrisxx View Post
Interesting I came to a similar conclusion, only about the OP. Who seems to be over complicating and obsessing about this, and is acutally the one with the problem.

Spot the inconsistency.

Disagreeing with someones lifestyle, is not homophobia. Especially when you yourself say he doesn't believe in discrimination.

This is a thing I've been noticing more and more lately, or something that 'atheists' do. They tend to be egotists, suffer from arrogance/intelectual snobbery and mock others for differing viewpoints whilst accusing others of intolerance.

The tendency to label and box oneself, then look down upon anyone who doesn't have the same label tattood on their forehead.I am an atheist, I believe x,y,z. My subjective position is right becuase I R RATIONAL!

Do you not see how condecending this is? "See the light?" Gordon Bennet. You also proceed to mock and use an insult for not enjoying the same things as you.

Does this matter? Does it matter if he doesn't agree with you regarding the lifestyle of a gay person. Does it matter that he doesn't like literature? You also mock him for his poor grammar.

Now on saying all of that.

Judging by how much you defended him, and seem to genuinely care. Yes. All of the diffeences appear to be irrelevent. If anything is going to torpedo the relationship, it's your obsessing with how it could fail.
So we broke up yesterday.

The problem is that he thinks being gay is a choice. The problem is that he believes this because he's intellectually lazy. I'm not saying he's intellectually lazy because his beliefs are different than mine but because I know how he justifies his beliefs. Whenever I question him on why he believes something, he justifies it very poorly. For example, he believes that being gay is a choice because the bible condemns homosexuality. However, that doesn't make sense because premarital sex is also condemned yet it's obvious that people have the desire to have premarital sex. He was originally against premarital sex but then decided it was ok and that makes him a hypocrite. In fact he was the one who convinced me to have sex. Also, he doesn't believe that DADT should have been repealed or that gays should be allowed to marry or have children. Intellectual laziness becomes a problem when it infringes on other people's rights.

Also, I didn't really tell the full story behind the grammar thing. My bf constantly complains about how other people are dumb and can't spell/write. In fact, he even went so far to correct me and another person on our fb status. It's kind of annoying that he takes so much pride in something that he's not that good at.
xxChrisxx
Nov29-12, 12:18 PM
P: 2,048
Quote Quote by Toph_fan View Post
The problem is that he thinks being gay is a choice. The problem is that he believes this because he's intellectually lazy. I'm not saying he's intellectually lazy because his beliefs are different than mine but because I know how he justifies his beliefs. Whenever I question him on why he believes something, he justifies it very poorly.
Define justifies poorly? What you really mean is didn't come to an conclusion that you deemed valid or 'rationally'. Opinions are frequently derived emotionally, and there really isn't anything wrong with that if it doesn't affect anyone else. As you said before he doesn't believe in discrimination.

What if he agreed with your position but didn't have a rational reason for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_in_a_Teacup
Fredrik
Nov29-12, 01:15 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,394
Define justifies poorly? What you really mean is didn't come to an conclusion that you deemed valid or 'rationally'. Opinions are frequently derived emotionally, and there really isn't anything wrong with that if it doesn't affect anyone else. As you said before he doesn't believe in discrimination.
She gave an example of what she's talking about. How is that not good enough? I think it's clear what she means, and that there's definitely something wrong with the way of thinking that she's describing.
Toph_fan
Nov29-12, 01:54 PM
P: 14

What if he agreed with your position but didn't have a rational reason for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_in_a_Teacup
If he doesn't approve of the gay lifestyle that's his opinion and I can't really argue against it, however, if he believes that being gay is a choice for ALL gay people then I can definitely argue against that with reason. That's denying science. He thinks that gay people should go to therapy and pray the gay away. One of the reasons we broke up was because he and his brother became more enthusiastic about their religion recently and started pressuring me to go to church. That's where I drew the line. He was the one trying to force his opinions on me in the end.
Rob D
Nov29-12, 02:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 28
I agree, and at the risk of overreaching I also agree with her decision to end the relationship. If for no other reason other than, using her description, he sounds quite annoying. And, for reasons I cannot explain, I imagine that Ms. toph fan is quite physically attractive and by expanding her scope just a bit will have no problem filling the vacant position.

But what do I know about such things? I'm a happily married middle-aged theorist who hasn't dated in 25 years. However, we must remember that Feynman, at my age, did some of his best work on the cocktail napkins of titty-bars.
Best Pokemon
Mar4-13, 05:04 PM
P: 46
Do you remember that episode of Static Shock when Richie had a racist father? You should find a way to make him change his views about homosexuality.
D.M.
Sep17-13, 01:24 AM
P: 9
I've seen this bs too many times among my own hillbilly family and friends. I recognize the pattern right away.

So you broke up. Good riddance.
I know folks who are going into medical fields, so they know quite a bit of math & biology, yet believe in Adam and Eve and think evolution is bs. It doesn't matter how 'smart' they are if they're willfully ignorant.

It's not your job to change anyone. You can't make him 'see the light'.

Don't ever settle with someone just because you think you're 'expired'. It's better to be single than have someone be the cancer in your bones. Staying by him would've been like buying a rotten apple at the grocery store just because you can't find any other apples at the moment. There may be more apples at the other side of the store, or more apples will arrive the next day... Would you eat a rotten apple only because it's the only thing you found at the moment?

You have to judge a relationship by it's worst moments. Those show how far the other person is willing to hurt you.
jmeps
Jun13-14, 01:27 PM
P: 3
Okay, I don't normally weigh in on others feelings, so here is my two cents for what it's worth.
#1. Tick tock, as in biological clock is running and you are watching the clock. Bad, move very bad.
#2. Can you say control freak? This is what you are dealing with and it's only the beginning. It will get worse for you if you stay with him. He will "promise you the moon" but watch what comes instead.
#3. RUN AWAY from him as fast as you can. The farther the better. Distance will be to your advantage if he can't get to you.

The good news is you broke up with him.
PLEASE PLEASE keep it that way for your own good.

Good Luck
elusiveshame
Jun18-14, 09:49 AM
P: 39
You mentioned you hope to change him. You shouldn't be in a relationship with someone who you feel you have to change.

If you can't cast all doubt away and you don't feel the relation is well balanced, it might not be a bad idea to consider other options in terms of your current relationship. There is no way around it, but you need to talk to him and get him to talk to you about your concerns and try to find a middle ground.

Trying to change someone is silly. The best you can do is explain why you believe the things you do (homosexuality and religion) in hopes that he understands, or at the very least respect your views, and if not, it's time to move on.

Just my $0.02

Good luck in whatever you decide to do op!

Edit: my bad, didn't realize how old this thread was
Evo
Jun19-14, 01:33 PM
Mentor
P: 26,545
The member that started this thread hasn't even been here for 2 years, so I am closing this thread.

Register to reply