Woopydalan
Nov23-12, 07:35 PM
P: 746
I am trying to prove that the two θ are equal from this picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Double_slit.svg

How do I go about proving this?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Magnets for fusion energy: A revolutionary manufacturing method developed
DocZaius
Nov23-12, 07:50 PM
P: 293
This might help: The small triangle's theta refers to the top angle of the triangle, not the left one. Also, the right angle is right. By that I mean that the angle on the right side of the triangle is a 90 degree angle. This post was an excuse to say that the right angle is right.
Woopydalan
Nov26-12, 12:21 AM
P: 746
Yes I was aware of which angles where which. I just used that picture since it was easily attainable. Any hints as to starting this

jtbell
Nov26-12, 01:03 AM
Mentor
P: 11,609
Young's double slit angles

Suppose you have two lines A and B that have angle θ between them.

If you have line C parallel to A, and line D parallel to B, then C and D also have angle θ between them, right?

Likewise, if you have line E perpendicular to A, and line F perpendicular to B, then E and F also have angle θ between them.
sophiecentaur
Nov26-12, 08:48 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,915
The phrase 'similar triangles' comes to mind and it hasn't yet been spelled out.

Register to reply