Dark matter island in the Pacific?

by Studiot
Tags: dark, island, matter, pacific
Share this thread:
Studiot
Nov22-12, 05:59 PM
P: 5,462
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20442487

Could this island be really there but made of dark matter?

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wearable 4MM jetpack tested on speed, agility for runners (w/ Video)
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
Corn spots: Study finds important genes in defense response
Simon Bridge
Nov22-12, 08:48 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,033
Wasn't there a plane crash near there?
TheMadMonk
Nov22-12, 11:16 PM
P: 11
The same island was proven not to exist previously. I don't know why the current crop of people think they are the first people to realise this.

Simon Bridge
Nov23-12, 12:35 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,033
Dark matter island in the Pacific?

It's like Momoto's nose.
syhprum
Nov23-12, 09:18 AM
P: 31
Further study of the area may well help to solve the problem of Atlantis and Brigadoon.
Evo
Nov23-12, 11:35 AM
Mentor
P: 26,643
Did google actually photoshop that in?

Google maps are full of errors. They have my street wrong. I keep trying to use their "service" were you can send them corrections to map mistakes, but the service is broken.
jim mcnamara
Nov25-12, 08:44 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,386
Evo -

I am sorry to inform you that your street does not in fact exist. It does seem odd that you are able to go home everyday....

Sometimes we deal with correcting GIS information for our physical plant: meters, customer sets, etc., (gas company). About 5000 meters and associated stuff took an unplanned trip to the middle of the Indian Ocean. Dredging those suckers up from the abyssal plain was a miserable task. And expensive, too. :)

Actually, a tech managed to invert signs on lat and long values for these plant items. It got propagated to our maps. So Scotty beamed all the items down to the ocean depths. All of the altitude values were way off, as well. People running those maps off on plotters had a cow...

...there was zero topographic information. No cities or streets either.

Rather like Evo's street I think. Evo, check your GPS to make sure you, too, are not really at home under the sea.
Evo
Nov25-12, 08:55 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by jim mcnamara View Post
Evo -

I am sorry to inform you that your street does not in fact exist. It does seem odd that you are able to go home everyday....
LOL!! That would be funny except I can't get pizza delivery without the call from the store manager about their driver reporting a prank order.

The google map shows to enter from the neighboring subdivision, go down, turn left and arrive at my house. Great, except the road doesn't go through, it ends in a hill, and there's a fence. The street doesn't go through. I've been trying for 5 years to get google to correct it. Perhaps if they fixed their map error reporting they could get corrections.

I even tell them about the map error. It never gets to the driver. I've had deliveries take an hour and a half when the kid returns to the store, takes off with another order and my food sits there until I call and try to get it re-sent.

AAARRRGH!
Evo
Nov25-12, 09:35 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by jim mcnamara View Post
Sometimes we deal with correcting GIS information for our physical plant: meters, customer sets, etc., (gas company). About 5000 meters and associated stuff took an unplanned trip to the middle of the Indian Ocean. Dredging those suckers up from the abyssal plain was a miserable task. And expensive, too. :)

Actually, a tech managed to invert signs on lat and long values for these plant items. It got propagated to our maps. So Scotty beamed all the items down to the ocean depths. All of the altitude values were way off, as well. People running those maps off on plotters had a cow...

...there was zero topographic information. No cities or streets either.

Rather like Evo's street I think. Evo, check your GPS to make sure you, too, are not really at home under the sea.
Lol, that's pretty bad!
wuliheron
Nov25-12, 09:44 PM
P: 1,967
It's the Island from the the TV show "Lost". Just ignore it, it'll go away.
jtbell
Nov25-12, 10:27 PM
Mentor
P: 11,857
Maybe it's Gilligan's Island!
MarneMath
Nov26-12, 03:18 AM
P: 439
I used to have the same problem Evo has. I live in the backwoods, and if I plug my normal address into GPS it takes me to dead end. So one day I started to experiment and turns out if I type 666 into my address it led me to my front gate. So I jokingly refer to my entrance as the Gates to Hell now.
wuliheron
Nov26-12, 07:03 AM
P: 1,967
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
Maybe it's Gilligan's Island!
Nah, Gilligan's Island is a cute little thing in a bay on Oahu.
tahayassen
Jan8-13, 10:16 AM
P: 273
How is this possible? I thought we took satellite photos of the Earth?
Evo
Jan8-13, 10:19 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by tahayassen View Post
How is this possible? I thought we took satellite photos of the Earth?
Yes, and then someone says, ok, these older maps show an island, and I don't see it, so let's photoshop one in. The same way google maps shows that people can drive straight through a small cliff on a road that doesn't exist as the only way to reach me.
tahayassen
Jan8-13, 10:22 AM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Yes, and then someone says, ok, these older maps show an island, and I don't see it, so let's photoshop one in. The same way google maps shows that people can drive straight through a small cliff on a road that doesn't exist as the only way to reach me.
I'm curious to how they came to the conclusion to photo-shopping images of earth to satisfy a map that is supposed to model the earth. I guess it just didn't come to their mind that there is no island and they thought the photos weren't high resolution or something?
Evo
Jan8-13, 10:31 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by tahayassen View Post
I'm curious to how they came to the conclusion to photo-shopping images of earth to satisfy a map that is supposed to model the earth. I guess it just didn't come to their mind that there is no island and they thought the photos weren't high resolution or something?
According to the article in the OP.

How did it find its way onto the maps? We just don't know, but we plan to follow up and find out."

Australia's Hydrographic Service, which produces the country's nautical charts, says its appearance on some scientific maps and Google Earth could just be the result of human error, repeated down the years.

A spokesman for Google said they consult a variety of authoritative sources when making their maps.
tahayassen
Jan8-13, 10:38 AM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
According to the article in the OP.
Oh so Google makes their maps? I thought Google Earth was based on actual images.

Register to reply