Help wanted in solving this equation

by paula1980
Tags: equation, solving, wanted
Share this thread:
paula1980
Nov25-12, 03:35 PM
P: 5
Hello:

I have been trying to solve the following equation on MathCad or Excel, however its been quite a struggle :(

Can anyone please able to help me?

As you can see in the equation below, I have to plot the value of hc but its located on both right and left side of the equation. All other variable (ao, f and v etc.) are constants.

http://s9.postimage.org/cvr73gwel/help.png

Any help is REALLY appreciated. Thank you for your time and help.
Attached Thumbnails
help.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
SteamKing
Nov25-12, 03:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,329
Instead of plotting hc, try to solve your equation by iteration. Guess a value of hc, plug it into the RHS, and see how close you are so that LHS = RHS.

Alternately, you can rearrange your original expression so that RHS - LHS = 0 = y.

Then you can plot a curve of hc versus y to find out the value of hc which satisfies the original equation.
Mute
Nov25-12, 05:22 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
Well, there's one solution of the equation that can be found by inspection of the equation itself: ##h_c = 0##.

For any others (I suspect there's only one more real one from a quick plot of x - ln|x+1|), it's possible to express the solution in terms of the Lambert-W function it looks like, but it's probably easiest to just do as SteamKing advised.

paula1980
Nov25-12, 05:59 PM
Help wanted in solving this equation

Thanks Steamking and Mute for your prompt responses! Do appreciate it.

I have tried following steamking's advice but still have a sense of unsurity if I did this correctly.
Please have a look at the attached Excel file, where I have tried modelling this and, if possible, provide a feedback.

I am finding it a little tricky to grasp how one can have LHS = RHS in this equation. FYI, I have attached the equation also in the spreadsheet..its presented in a slightly different manner but is same equation as before.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: xls P-Calculation.xls (98.5 KB, 2 views)
SteamKing
Nov25-12, 06:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,329
This situation occurs frequently.

Using your spreadsheet, another value which satisfies the relation is hc = 1.585
paula1980
Nov25-12, 06:39 PM
Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
This situation occurs frequently.

Using your spreadsheet, another value which satisfies the relation is hc = 1.585
That answer is not close to correct. According to the paper I am reading it should be near 25-30 range. Again its possible I may have made a mistake somewhere but thanks for your help!
Robert1986
Nov25-12, 07:39 PM
P: 828
Try something like Newton's Method. Or maybe a bisection method.
paula1980
Nov26-12, 06:53 AM
I found the answer...please see the attachment. I simply needed to substrate Hc-Hc...when the difference is close to zero, that value of Hc corresponds to the answer I was seeking which was around 18 (although in the paper it states around 25) but with my variables I am obtained 18.

Thanks everyone for your help particularly SteamKing.
Attached Files
File Type: xls P-Calculation (Solved).xls (99.0 KB, 6 views)

Register to reply