Cauchy Problem in Convex Neighborhood

by PLuz
Tags: cauchy, convex, neighborhood
Share this thread:
PLuz
Nov18-12, 05:50 PM
P: 56
While reading the reference

Eric Poisson and Adam Pound and Ian Vega,The Motion of Point Particles in Curved Spacetime, available here,

there is something that I don't quite understand. Eq.(16.6) is an evolution equation for de Green functional. Then in Eq.(16.7) Poisson et. al. look for a specific solution and they state that the separation of the Green functional is valid only in the convex neighborhood of a field point x. I assume that is because the Cauchy problem is valid only in that neighborhood... My question is why? Why is the Cauchy problem related to the imposition that the two points must be connected by a unique geodesic?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Vargo
Nov26-12, 12:52 PM
P: 350
From a glance, it looks like the calculation propagates the solution from one point to another by integrating along the geodesic that joins them. If they are connected by more than one geodesic, then the two calculations might not agree. Hence the restriction to a convex neighborhood.

Register to reply