Difficulty with permutation and combination

by Taylor_1989
Tags: combination, difficulty, permutation
Taylor_1989
Nov25-12, 09:15 AM
P: 106
Right I am having an issue with the proof to permutation, I really can see the [itex]n-r-1[/itex]
I think the confusion stems because it is in the general term, which throws me a bit, if possible could someone maybe write it in numbers and the underneath write in the general term if not too much trouble. The reason I ask for this is I am trying to understand the binomial expansion, and I have never done permutation or comnations be for, I do understand factorials and how permutation work and combination, but can't get my head around the proof for the formula.

I would like to thank anyone in advance for posting a replie to this post, much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
Taylor_1989
Nov25-12, 10:54 AM
Okay so I have resized I am being quite vague, when I posted this. So I have been having a look at the proof a going over it so please correct me if I am wrong to what I am about to write: if I have say 5 letter - ABCDE and have 5 place to fill this I would get this type of equation: [itex]5*4*3*2*1= 120[/itex] So I have 120 permutation. In general form this would N=5 and the R=5 [itex]n*n-1*n-2*n-r+1= 120[/itex]. So I am under the assumption that the [itex] n-r+1 [/itex] is the last term in the sequence so to speak, correct or not?
MarneMath
Nov25-12, 09:01 PM
P: 422
I think you are getting it, but, I'm going to go over an informal proof to see if you can follow.

Let us select elements of S in any order. There are n elements within S, for our first selection we have n options. Thus there are n - 1 elements left in S, so we have n-1 for the second choice, and thus we now have n - 2 options left, and henece n - 2 choices for the third option. If we notice this pattern, we can say that for the rth choice there are n-(r-1) possible choices.

*So for example, when we had two choices, we had n-1 = n-(2-1)

So since each choice is indepedent we use the product rule and we obtain n(n-1)...(n-r+1) = n!/(n-r)!

Hope that clears up the last term a bit.

Taylor_1989
Nov26-12, 02:21 PM

Difficulty with permutation and combination

Yep, I see where you are coming from. I had the right idea i my head, but couldn't get what I wanted to say on here. Thanks for the input def cleared things up.

Register to reply