Feynman Factors & Relativistic Scalar Propagator

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about feynman diagrams and the relativistic scalar propagator term. The interaction with a self-interaction term via mass is explained and the form of the propagator for a relativistic scalar particle is derived using the identity (1+x)^-1=1+x+x^2+... and the relation EdE=mdm. The scalar interaction is described as the sum of all self-interactions by mass.
Sekonda
Hey again,

I have a question on a couple of things related to feynman diagrams but also the relativistic scalar propagator term.

First of all, this interaction:

feynman2.png

The cross represents a self-interaction via the mass and characterised by the term: -im^2, is this just some initial state then self-interacting with itself via the mass, with nothing changing and it entering into a final state the same as the initial state? Can anybody explain what exactly is happening in this interaction?

My second question is on the propagator for a relativisitc scalar particle, I believe it has form:

[tex]\frac{i}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}-m^{2}}[/tex]

My professor said that this is where this form comes from, he said to imagine summing up all the possible number of self-interaction from 0 self interactions to (presumably) and infinite number of interactions, so :

Self_Interaction_Sum.png

So the first line has no mass interaction so m=0 and the factor for the first one is :

[tex]\frac{i}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}}[/tex]

then the second line has one mass interaction so the factor associated with it is :

[tex]\frac{i}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}}(-im^{2})\frac{i}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}}[/tex]

and the third line has 2 mass interactions and so the factor is :

[tex](\frac{i}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}})^3(-im^{2})^2[/tex]

And so we sum all these factors up (to the maximum number of self-interactions) and can make factorisation below:

[tex]\frac{i}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}}(1+\frac{m^{2}}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}}+\frac{m^{4}}{(E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2})^2}+\cdots )[/tex]

We use identity:

[tex](1+x)^{-1}=1+x+x^{2}+x^{3}+\cdots\: ,\: x=\frac{m^{2}}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}}[/tex]

and thus obtain the relativistic scalar propagator:

[tex]\frac{i}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}-m^{2}}[/tex]

How does this work? Is the scalar interaction just the sum of all the self-interactions by mass?

Thanks,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
It is rather different from what you think.the identity used is rather
1/x+y=1/x-(1/x)y(1/x)+(1/x)y(1/x)y(1/x)-...
the cross sign represents all self interaction summation and writing the modified propagator which is obtained simply by supplying the feynman rules for those interaction and summing them.Also mass change is simply identified by well known relation,
EdE=mdm,you can see page 284 here and forward for more on this
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=lvmSZkzDFt0C&pg=PA81&dq=advanced+quantum+mechanics+self+interaction&hl=en#v=onepage&q=advanced%20quantum%20mechanics%20self%20interaction&f=false

1. What are Feynman factors and how do they relate to the relativistic scalar propagator?

Feynman factors, also known as Feynman diagrams, are a graphical representation of mathematical calculations used in quantum field theory to describe the interactions between particles. They play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in the context of the relativistic scalar propagator, which is a mathematical expression that describes the propagation of a scalar particle in a relativistic field. Feynman factors are used to calculate the amplitude of each possible interaction between particles, which is then used to determine the overall behavior of the particle system.

2. How do Feynman factors and the relativistic scalar propagator help us understand the behavior of particles?

Feynman factors and the relativistic scalar propagator are essential tools in the study of particle physics as they provide a way to mathematically describe the interactions between particles. By using Feynman factors to calculate the amplitudes of particle interactions, we can then determine the probability of those interactions occurring and thus gain a better understanding of the behavior and properties of particles.

3. Can you explain the role of Feynman factors and the relativistic scalar propagator in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. Feynman factors and the relativistic scalar propagator play a crucial role in this model as they allow us to calculate the probabilities of particle interactions, which are then used to predict and explain the behavior of particles in experiments. Without these tools, it would be challenging to make accurate predictions and fully understand the behavior of particles in the Standard Model.

4. Are there any limitations to using Feynman factors and the relativistic scalar propagator in particle physics?

While Feynman factors and the relativistic scalar propagator are powerful tools, they do have limitations. One limitation is that they are based on the assumption that particles are point-like and do not have internal structure. This simplification may not accurately describe more complex particles, such as hadrons. Additionally, the calculations involved in using these tools can become very complex and difficult to solve, especially when considering multiple interacting particles.

5. How have Feynman factors and the relativistic scalar propagator contributed to our understanding of particle physics?

Feynman factors and the relativistic scalar propagator have played a significant role in the development of our understanding of particle physics. They have allowed us to make accurate predictions and explanations for particle behavior, leading to the discovery of new particles and the development of the Standard Model. They have also been used to develop new theories and test the validity of existing ones, contributing to the advancement of our knowledge in this field.