Is 10 e/nm^2 a Realistic Surface Charge Density?

• Thread starter mzh
  • Start date
In summary, 10e/nm^2 is a unit used to measure the density of something in relation to the surface area. It is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in nanotechnology, chemistry, and physics. It is a precise and realistic measurement that can be converted to other units, such as molecules/nm^2 or atoms/nm^2. Scientists use specialized equipment, such as atomic force microscopes or scanning electron microscopes, to determine the density of a substance in 10e/nm^2.
mzh
Hey,
I'm running a semi-quantitative simulation and I have a surface charge densitiy of 10 electrons per square nanometer. Is this anything realistic? The surface is immersed in an electrolyte so the total charge is canceled by ions from the solution. But still, can I pack 10 e's on such a surface?

I know there are proteins with 10 formal charges which are on the same scale (of course also surrounded by counter ions).

Thanks for any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What does 10e/nm^2 mean?

10e/nm^2 is a unit used to measure the density of something in relation to the surface area. The "e" represents the scientific notation for "exponent" and the "nm" stands for nanometers, which is a unit of length equal to one billionth of a meter.

2. Is 10e/nm^2 a common unit of measurement in scientific research?

Yes, 10e/nm^2 is a commonly used unit of measurement in various scientific fields, particularly in nanotechnology, chemistry, and physics. It is often used to measure the density of molecules or particles on a surface.

3. How realistic is 10e/nm^2 as a measurement?

10e/nm^2 is a very precise measurement and is commonly used in scientific research. It is considered to be a realistic and accurate measurement when used appropriately and in the context of the research being conducted.

4. Can 10e/nm^2 be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, 10e/nm^2 can be converted to other units of measurement, such as molecules per square nanometer (molecules/nm^2) or atoms per square nanometer (atoms/nm^2). Conversion factors may be needed depending on the specific unit being converted to.

5. How do scientists determine the density of a substance in 10e/nm^2?

Scientists typically use specialized equipment, such as atomic force microscopes or scanning electron microscopes, to measure the density of a substance in 10e/nm^2. These instruments use advanced imaging techniques to accurately measure the number of molecules or particles present on a surface.