infinite and finite countable sets

by hatsu27
Tags: countable, finite, infinite, sets
hatsu27
Nov27-12, 04:29 PM
P: 5
Ok I understand the concept of infinite countability and that say the set of all rational #s is infinitely countable, but if I needed to represent the set how do I do that? S={xε rat. # : x= k , k ε a rational #}? that doesn't seem right. Also say I wanted to show a set of finite countable numbers, I'm sure I can just write T={1,2,3,4} but shouldn't i do something more proper and state that T = {n ε rat. # : 1≤n≤4}? I just need help with how to properly represent sets- Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Mark44
Nov27-12, 05:43 PM
Mentor
P: 20,970
Quote Quote by hatsu27 View Post
Ok I understand the concept of infinite countability and that say the set of all rational #s is infinitely countable
You are mixing up the terms. The positive integers and the rationals are countably infinite, and the reals are uncountably infinite. No set is described as being infinitely countable.
[QUOTE=hatsu27;4175569]
, but if I needed to represent the set how do I do that? S={xε rat. # : x= k , k ε a rational #}? that doesn't seem right.
[quote]S = {x : x is rational}. Sometimes Q is used to represent rational numbers, so you could also say S = {x : x ##\in## Q}.
Also say I wanted to show a set of finite countable numbers, I'm sure I can just write T={1,2,3,4}
This is an example of a finite set. The way you wrote it, above, is fine.
but shouldn't i do something more proper and state that T = {n ε rat. # : 1≤n≤4}?
This would be all of the rational numbers between 1 and 4. This set is not the same as {1, 2, 3, 4}.
I just need help with how to properly represent sets- Thanks!

Register to reply