Register to reply

Archemedies Spiral

by rhimmelblau
Tags: archemedies, spiral
Share this thread:
rhimmelblau
Nov28-12, 11:28 AM
P: 7
Hi I'm working on a project where I need to develop a flight path to cover a circular area. I was thinking of having the plane follow an archenemies spiral. I found that the general equation in polar is r=a(theta)^1/n
My question is if I have a specific distance I want each spiral to be from the last how do I input that into the equation.
Also is there a Cartesian equation for the spiral?
Edit: Also how does one calculate the arc length of the spiral?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
tadchem
Nov28-12, 12:29 PM
P: 70
The equation for the Archimedes spiral is:
R = a*theta
Each turn is separated from the last (and the next) by a distance (measured radially) of
d = a*(2*pi)
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ArchimedesSpiral.html
There is no Cartesian Equation because it is not a single-valued function in cartesian space; there is no single value of x (or y) that can be associated with a given value of y (or x).

P.S. Don't tell your archenemies. Make them figure it out for themselves.
rhimmelblau
Nov28-12, 01:29 PM
P: 7
So if I have a radius that I need to search and a distance each successive turn should be from the last, then I can use the arc length equation s=0.5*a[theta*sqrt(1+theta^2)+ln(theta+sqrt(1+theta^2))].
So I would plug in "a" equal to my distance/2*pi,
Then theta would be how many turns I go around the circle, which I can find by adding up the incremental distances between the spirals until I reach the radius of the search area.

Correct me if you see any flaws in my logic.

Register to reply