Applied Mechanics vs Mechanical Engineering?

by Ishida52134
Tags: applied, engineering, mechanical, mechanics
Ishida52134
Nov26-12, 11:08 PM
P: 139
What exactly is the major difference between applied mechanics and mechanical engineering degree like the one in caltech?
Is applied mechanics generally less popular now?
Would it be better to pursue a career in physics or applied mechanics?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
DrummingAtom
Nov27-12, 12:08 AM
P: 660
Are those your current choices?

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...lied-mechanics

http://me.columbia.edu/what-mechanical-engineering
Ishida52134
Nov27-12, 05:33 PM
I'm just wondering what's the difference between those two fields. And would pursuing a career in physics be more prestigious and more popular than one in applied mechanics?

DrummingAtom
Nov28-12, 02:41 AM

Applied Mechanics vs Mechanical Engineering?

I thought the choices were applied mechanics and mechanical engineering.
Ishida52134
Nov28-12, 05:49 PM
oh lol and physics.
Ishida52134
Nov29-12, 04:48 PM
any ideas?
DrummingAtom
Nov30-12, 12:43 AM
I've seen from your other posts that you're a freshman and I think I know what you're trying to do: You're attempting to lay your entire undergrad schedule right now but I can tell you from experience it doesn't work well. I wanted to do EE and physics double major but I quickly found out that at my school I would have to stay an extra year to fill all the requirements and even then I would be taking 5-6 technical classes every semester which is way too many for me.

Here's what I found out and what I'll recommend to you. Take each type of class (one mechanics, one physics, etc.) that you think you're going to like asap; hopefully by your second semester and see if you do really like it. If you do then great, if you don't then your decision is easier already. My views changed drastically after one class of each.
Force
Nov30-12, 01:20 AM
P: 1
Quote Quote by DrummingAtom View Post
I've seen from your other posts that you're a freshman and I think I know what you're trying to do: You're attempting to lay your entire undergrad schedule right now but I can tell you from experience it doesn't work well. I wanted to do EE and physics double major but I quickly found out that at my school I would have to stay an extra year to fill all the requirements and even then I would be taking 5-6 technical classes every semester which is way too many for me.

Here's what I found out and what I'll recommend to you. Take each type of class (one mechanics, one physics, etc.) that you think you're going to like asap; hopefully by your second semester and see if you do really like it. If you do then great, if you don't then your decision is easier already. My views changed drastically after one class of each.
I totally agree with you.
Ishida52134
Nov30-12, 08:45 PM
lol I'm only a senior in high school. But I already took physics C and taking multi right now, and I liked both mechanics and EM. I'm just not sure if I'd like doing quantum physics everyday for the rest of my life though. I just want to know a bit more.

Would it be better to pursue a career in physics or applied mechanics?
And would pursuing a career in physics be more prestigious and more popular than one in applied mechanics?
isn't applied mechanics not really that popular/prestigious/useful in comparison to a career in physics now?
And also, mechanics is already completely understood which is why physicists are studying modern physics.
Vanadium 50
Dec1-12, 08:14 AM
Mentor
P: 15,625
Note that you just totally ignored the advice given to you by DrummingAtom and Force.

Register to reply