Register to reply

Calculating table's legs positioning

by ketamynx
Tags: legs, positioning, table
Share this thread:
ketamynx
Nov30-12, 08:48 AM
P: 11
I have an MDF board (that corky stuff), 80x30" and 6/10" thick.

I want to make it a desk, so obviously I'm going to buy some legs from Ikea.

The leg is a regular tube, a socket and 5 screws.

Is there a way to calculate the safe distance to leave between the legs?
I mean I could just buy three legs and put them in a triangle shape but there's no guarantee of the board not breaking on heavier objects.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
Five next-generation technologies for positioning, navigation and timing
mikegyver
Nov30-12, 12:44 PM
P: 2
MDF can be moisture prone and is not meant for load bearing without lots of support. If you are using it as a desk it will sag over time with any weight. 1/2 MDF is not good desk material, it won't "break" like a solid board, but it's just not that strong.

Use 3/4" plywood and keep the span no longer than 3' between supports. Or just buy the ikea top, they usually sell them separately.
mikegyver
Nov30-12, 12:44 PM
P: 2
MDF can be moisture prone and is not meant for load bearing without lots of support. If you are using it as a desk it will sag over time with any weight. 1/2 MDF is not good desk material, it won't "break" like a solid board, but it's just not that strong.

Use 3/4" plywood and keep the span no longer than 3' between supports. Or just buy the ikea top, they usually sell them separately.

Register to reply