AlephZero
Nov30-12, 05:06 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,957
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
In some google images the sigma seems to be represented by a capitol C sort of thing
This may be Coptic with the letters simplified to straight lines for easier carving on stone, not strictly "Greek".
http://www.suscopts.org/deacons/copt...c_alphabet.pdf

The attachment is a clip from an encylopedia describing a manuscript which is actually an ancient forgery, the only original copy having been accidentaly detroyed in a fire in 80 BC - note "the place of composition is evidently Egypt", which is where the Copts were, and still are. Working in the 2nd century AD, the forger "forgot" that Christ wasn't around in 80 BC!

In your image, there is clearly the word "pros" = "towards" near the bottom left, with a C for an S.
Attached Thumbnails
coptic.png  
lisab
Nov30-12, 07:32 PM
Mentor
P: 2,977
imagination sets in, pretty soon I'm singing, dooo dooo dooo looking out my back door...
rootX
Nov30-12, 08:55 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
imagination sets in, pretty soon I'm singing, dooo dooo dooo looking out my back door...
Everyone has an animal inside!
http://www.keshasparty.com/ca/spirit-animal/quiz

I am Narwhal!
drizzle
Nov30-12, 09:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
Everyone has an animal inside!
http://www.keshasparty.com/ca/spirit-animal/quiz

I am Narwhal!
An owl, not new!
trueo
Nov30-12, 10:09 PM
P: 18
I like PF because I mentally feel good with whatever comments people offering me or anyone that seems to be me. .
Whether it is true or false compliment doesn't matter really, provided that I feel good and happy, because I always ask myself what if all PF members attack me.
rootX
Nov30-12, 10:16 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by trueo View Post
I always ask myself what if all PF members attack me.
Your wish, my command

zoobyshoe
Nov30-12, 10:56 PM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
This may be Coptic with the letters simplified to straight lines for easier carving on stone, not strictly "Greek".
http://www.suscopts.org/deacons/copt...c_alphabet.pdf

The attachment is a clip from an encylopedia describing a manuscript which is actually an ancient forgery, the only original copy having been accidentaly detroyed in a fire in 80 BC - note "the place of composition is evidently Egypt", which is where the Copts were, and still are. Working in the 2nd century AD, the forger "forgot" that Christ wasn't around in 80 BC!

In your image, there is clearly the word "pros" = "towards" near the bottom left, with a C for an S.
Thanks, that clears up that confusion for me.
Borek
Dec1-12, 03:45 AM
Admin
P: 23,391
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Doo doo doo makes me think about The Police, not about The Doors.
Jimmy Snyder
Dec1-12, 06:56 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
dkotschessaa
Dec1-12, 07:26 AM
P: 591
Quote Quote by Jack21222 View Post
As of today, I'm no longer a young 20-something. I'm now a middle-aged 30-something. :-/

"Happy" birthday to me. :-p
Happy Birthday!

I'm confused as to how you went to 2n to 3n without 20 in between though.
Borek
Dec1-12, 07:42 AM
Admin
P: 23,391
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Quote Quote by Borek
I wonder if it qualifies as a cultural difference.
zoobyshoe
Dec1-12, 12:14 PM
I always took them to be singing, "Tu, tu, tu, lookin' out my backdoor." "Tu" being French for "you", an affectation they threw in to make them sound more Cajun.
Jimmy Snyder
Dec1-12, 12:25 PM
P: 2,179
Yeah, but then what is lookin' out my back door French for?
zoobyshoe
Dec1-12, 12:31 PM
Yeah, but then what is lookin' out my back door French for?
"Lookin' out my back door," is actually English. It's hard to translate into English, but, roughly, it means, "Lookin' out my back door."
Evo
Dec1-12, 12:53 PM
Mentor
P: 26,474
"Lookin' out my back door," is actually English. It's hard to translate into English, but, roughly, it means, "Lookin' out my back door."
Lol.

I always thought they said doot doot doot. Never liked that song.

Seems others say it's doot.

http://www.songlyrics.com/creedence-...ckdoor-lyrics/

Egads, the guy that wrote is says it's doot doot doo.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5071
turbo
Dec1-12, 12:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Creedence was never about linguistics. Somehow, they sold a lot of records. I disliked them, but my wife bought a "best of" CD because (in part) she had pent a few years with an older sister. The sister liked Creedence, and Neil Diamond and didn't have too many records. Must have been a depressing atmosphere.
zoobyshoe
Dec1-12, 01:13 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Lol.

I always thought they said doot doot doot. Never liked that song.

Seems others say it's doot.

http://www.songlyrics.com/creedence-...ckdoor-lyrics/
My mother and grandmother were French Canadian so I grew up around them shifting back and forth between English and French in mid-sentence. Therefore, I've always heard it as the French "Tu", which fits in with CCR's Cajun Bayou thing. Other people I know think they're saying, "Two, Two, Two...". This is the first time I've run into anyone hearing the initial consonant as a "d".

Not that it matters since the whole song sounds like a mushroom trip.
turbo
Dec1-12, 01:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
My mother and grandmother were French Canadian so I grew up around them shifting back and forth between English and French in mid-sentence. Therefore, I've always heard it as the French "Tu", which fits in with CCR's Cajun Bayou thing. Other people I know think they're saying, "Two, Two, Two...". This is the first time I've run into anyone hearing the initial consonant as a "d".

Not that it matters since the whole song sounds like a mushroom trip.
My mother and her aunts were all French Canadian (metis), and they would swing back and forth between English and French, until they learned that I could understand French. Then they stayed French and "invited" me to go outside. The breaking point was was when I overheard them talking about a great-aunt's daughter, and asking when she was going to have her baby. My mother got flustered. She had been slagged badly for being French-Canadian as a child and refused to speak to me in French. Didn't matter. I heard it so much that I learned. Little kids are like sponges.

Register to reply