Electrostatics: Surface charge density-numerical solution

by juvan
Tags: charge, electrostatics, mom, numerical, surface
juvan
Dec2-12, 04:27 AM
P: 12
Hi, I'm very new here, 10min old, but the problem with my knowledge, or better, lack there of, at this time is very hard, so I need help. I am trying to numerically calculate a certain electrostatic problem (attached an image "prob.jpg" to clarify). I have a disk at potential V0, and with this equation

[itex]V(\rho,\varphi)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int\int \frac{\sigma(\rho',\varphi')\rho'd\rho'd\varphi'}{ \sqrt{\rho^2+\rho'^2 - 2\rho\rho'cos(\varphi-\varphi')}} (1)[/itex]
I'm trying to then numerically calculate for σ (attached 2 images "disk.png","charge_on_disk.png" to clarify), this integral equation. So I basically get an equation A*σ=b (A-matrix, σ,b-vectors). As for [itex] A_{ij} [/itex] where [itex]i \neq j[/itex], i think there should be no problem with equation (1), but what about [itex]A_{ii}[/itex], what is.. or how should I set up the equation for these terms, since if I used the same equation (1), I would get [itex]\frac{something}{0}[/itex]. I have no idea where to even start the thought process, to go about setting up the equation.
For the sake of being brief, I will stop, and ask that if I have made anything unclear just say so and I will try to explain further(better).

Thank you.

EDIT: I tried setting all the terms to 1 [itex]A_{ii}=1[/itex] and the resulting graph seems correct, but that's just guess work, I have no basis for setting it to a constant 1.
Attached Thumbnails
charge_on_disk.png   disk.png   prob.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser

Register to reply